Problems with greyscaling in X apps

Post by Shawn Slav » Wed, 16 Nov 1994 12:07:37

Hi everyone.  I have a question about greyscaling and colormaps under X.  You
may say, "This is not the right newsgroup," and I would agree with you,
*except* that I have a problem with a couple applications on my FreeBSD system,
using XFree86 2.1 (X11R5), which don't show problems on machines in my
department, HP735s and Sparcs running X11R5.

Ok, here is the problem:

I have an astronomical image, in FITS format, which I can read into xv 3.00,
which has an added FITS patch.  I can create a PostScript file from this,
preview it with Ghostview (at school) and print it on a laser printer.  So far,
no problems.  However, I can preview it on my PC with Ghostview, and the faint
backround and slightly brighter halo of the galaxy in the field will come out
fine, but at a certain point the brightness level wraps itself around to black,
as opposed to finding a saturation level at the brightest part of the colormap.
I also see this effect on my PC directly viewing the FITS file with an image
previewer called SAOimage, which I don't have a problem with at school.

I find this strange, because in all other ways, I have had no problem
compiling, installing, running, using, etc. these two programs.  However, this
"wrapping" effect puzzles me.  In fact, I can use both Ghostview and SAOimage,
albeit slowly, over a PPP connection with a workstation at school, and these
very same images/PS files look fine on my monitor!  So, does anyone "in the
know" have a clue/suggestion/piece of wisdom/criticism for me?

Also, I don't think that this is a platform dependent problem.  But, I could be
wrong (obviously).  Thanks for your time.

--
Shawn Slavin
Indiana University Astronomy

1. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

Hello,

        I've configured my linux box to receive calls from two 28.8
SupraExpress modems (both support v.34).  Everything works fine, the
connection, everything.  However, when the user logs off, the modems
literally go bezerks and make the LED display shows pure garbage and
the SD/RD leds blinks relentlessly.  After that, the modem no longer
answer to commands issued by my system or to incoming calls, and I get
this kind of messages inside /var/adm/messages:

Feb 24 14:05:02 zeus kernel: ttyS0: 13 input overrun(s)

        for both ports.  The only solution is to power off the modem
and restart it.  Then, uugetty regains controls and accepts answers.

        Here's a copy of my /etc/default/uugetty.ttyS0 file:

CLEAR = NO
HANGUP=YES
#DEBUG=777
DEBUG=010
INIT="" AT&F2S0=1\r OK
ALTLOCK=cua0
ALTLINE=cua0
#WAITFOR=RING
#CONNECT="" ATs0=1\r CONNECT \s\A
TIMEOUT=60

        Help!

        ...David

--

// Socom technologies, Inc.        Tel: 514/939-0480 Fax: 514/939-0834
   " There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. " -- Mark Twain

2. ! WORK FOR YOURSELF--- MORTGAGE INDUSTRY_____

3. Netscape plug-ins problem

4. IP Masq + Identd

5. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

6. XConsole, console, tty0, tty1...

7. Netscape 4.51 and plug-ins problem

8. ProAudio Spectrum 16 cards

9. Hooking up Apollo greyscale monitor to PC

10. PB 5300 Greyscale success!

11. GreyScale and Gamma correction XFree86 server?

12. Greyscale high res monitors?

13. help compiling genius greyscale handscanner