Remote terminal woes

Post by Gregory Pro » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 08:09:04

Recently, I tried to set up a remote terminal to my Linux box.
Actually, it's an old 286 running some DOS comm stuff.  The DOS side
is working and so is the Linux side, sort of... You see, I can get a
login and do whatever I want as long as the have the null-modem cable
plugged into the port corresponding to ttyS2 on the server.  This,
however, produces an irq conflict with the system's modem.  Since the
main reason for having the terminal was to allow a family member to
use the super-fast modem in the server rather than her own slow one
the terminal is not very useful.  In fact, I keep the getty lines
commented out of gettydefs and inittab.  When I place the terminal on
ttyS1 there is no modem-irq problem but the login never comes up.  I
have checked both cua1 and ttyS1 with 'cat foo.bar >/dev/ttyS1' and
cat </dev/ttyS1.  The connection is working both ways!  However, the
getty just can't seem to use it.  Another strange effect - when I run
Seyon for X11 I see the modem init string "ATZ" come up on the
terminal too!  Seyon, however uses only cua0, not cua1 or ttyS1.  What
is going on here!

- Greg P.

Remote terminal woes

Post by Roland Giva » Tue, 14 Feb 1995 08:53:34

  > >/dev/ttyS1' and cat </dev/ttyS1.  The connection is working both
  > ways!  However, the getty just can't seem to use it.  Another strange
  > effect - when I run Seyon for X11 I see the modem init string "ATZ"
  > come up on the terminal too!  Seyon, however uses only cua0, not cua1
  > or ttyS1.  What is going on here!

I have a similar problem. I have the default kernel from slackware pro 2.1 and

installed as in '22.8 How do I set up a terminal connected to my PC?',
making allowences for the exact configuration of my hardware.

All I ever get out of getty is 'ATZ'.

I know the serial port works. I can plug in a modem (under W3.11) or run SLIP
locally to another computer under Linux.

I also know the terminal is working as is the cable.

Thanks

Roland.

BTW whilst on the subject of serial comms, I really need a faster serial
port. I notice lots of dealers in the UK selling boards with 16550 chips
- yet the Linux User Guide refers to the 16550A. Is the extra 'A'
important - or are the adverts plain wrong or misleading? Thanks.

Remote terminal woes

Post by Gregory Pro » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 04:41:51

: I have a similar problem. I have the default kernel from slackware pro 2.1 and

: installed as in '22.8 How do I set up a terminal connected to my PC?',
: making allowences for the exact configuration of my hardware.

: All I ever get out of getty is 'ATZ'.

Wow!  I was convinced I had some bad hardware since the problem was so
strange.  Let me ask you this - what IRQ and port do you use for the
terminal?  I can get login and everything on ttyS2 with IRQ4.  The
only problem is, the modem is on ttyS0 at IRQ4 also!  Thus the comm
software and the remote getty cannot run together.  I tried to assign
the getty and the terminal to ttyS1 and IRQ3 with the strange result
that the modem commands -from cua0!- somehow crosstalked to ttyS1.
This is very odd behavior since, as far as I can tell, the ports and
the IRQs are now different.  They should not be able to talk to each
other at all!  What is your hardware?  I run an IBM/PS1 486-66. It is
technically a 2168-G87.

: I know the serial port works. I can plug in a modem (under W3.11) or run SLIP
: locally to another computer under Linux.

: I also know the terminal is working as is the cable.

: Thanks

: Roland.

: BTW whilst on the subject of serial comms, I really need a faster serial
: port. I notice lots of dealers in the UK selling boards with 16550 chips
: - yet the Linux User Guide refers to the 16550A. Is the extra 'A'
: important - or are the adverts plain wrong or misleading? Thanks.

Don't know the answer to this one - sorry,

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------------%
% "At roughly 600,000 employees (including accountants, auditors and soldiers)%
% the IRS is currently the largest terrorist organization in the world.  Not  %
% even the strongest squadron can hope to stand against them if they decide   %
% to make an example of you.  They'll either * you themselves, or hire  %
% the work out" - Strike Commander Technical Manual (Sudden Death magazine)   %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Remote terminal woes

Post by Franz Scho » Sun, 19 Feb 1995 01:44:42

[...]

This will always work, since you have connected the terminal right and
obviously choosen the right line speed and protocol.
But as long as you don't start getty in /etc/inittab on the terminal line
you won't get a login prompt.
The other thing I could think of as a possible cause,
is that you have started a virtual console mouse package, such as
"selection" or "gpm", be shure to comment them out in /etc/rc.d/rc.*
or wherever your startup files are, because selection an gpm shurely will
grab /dev/ttyS1 respectively /dev/cua1 for recieving mouse data.
Though this will not stop you from sending data to the terminal it
will stop you from recieving data.

:                                  Another strange effect - when I run
: Seyon for X11 I see the modem init string "ATZ" come up on the
: terminal too!  Seyon, however uses only cua0, not cua1 or ttyS1.  What
: is going on here!

: - Greg P.

Hope I could help,

        Franz

--
Franz Scholz

Disclaimer:
We do not take any responsibility for eye or brain damage caused
by this piece of language - nor does this word art have to make
any sense to the end user in any imaginable way.
We did not use any MICROSOFT(tm) products(tm) in the creation of
this wonderful product.

1. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

I hate to ask the often answered, but I have a TDK VeloCD CD-RW in my PII
233 machine installed as a master on the secondary IDE. I'm running
Mandrake-linux 7.0, and of course I get the bad link problem. I have run the
fix suggested on Mandrake's Web-page, but I can't figure a way to make the
fix either permenant or automatic. The fix (in case you haven't seen it is
to run "cdrecord -scanbus" to check for the presence of a working CD-RW,
then to type "cd /dev && rm cdrom && ln -s scd0 cdrom" in a terminal) This
fix works but there's got to be a better way...any thoughts.

2. HP JetDirect Data Loss

3. Remote X terminal... won't use the terminals hardware

4. Problems with shutdown

5. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes

6. SIG_IGN and SA_RESETHAND

7. Connecting a Terminal woes......

8. Compile error in Lyx 1.1.5fix2 under Solaris 8

9. VT100 terminals woes

10. Wyse Terminal woes

11. AIX 3.2 remote printing woes ..

12. dumb terminal woes