Hops in Sendmail

Post by Peter Mactavis » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 05:41:33

I've a linux mandrake 7.0 email server running sendmail.  i can receive
email no problem at most of the accounts set up on this computer except one.
When i attempt to send to this user's mailbox along with my account, i get
it no problem, but the problem account receives it intermittently, with an
error message written to the root account's mailbox stating that the message
exceeded the maximum number of hops (max is set at 25).  it usually only
exceeds the max by one or two hops.  Anyways, i'm wondering if anyone knows
how to change this max hops thingy so that the email will get to the server
ok.

1. HOP HOP and skip with PINE

Hi all,

        Can anyone help me with a mail problem?

        I can get all my mail from my mail server but they don't say where they come from they say 'user unknown'.
When I look at the mail it is there in full but there is a message attached at the top
saying 'To many hops 20 used 17 is the max. i have increased the hops in the sendmail.conf
to 25 but now it says 28 is the, it appears to be always three out.

        Can anyone help me or explain what is happening! Thank you

DEREK JONES

Q. How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. None. Bill Gates announces darkness as an industy standard...!
                        Derek Jones. London. UK

CompuServe: 100533,167
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Running OS/2 Warp on a 100MHz 486

2. Solaris w/ CDE

3. too many hops error in sendmail.

4. Sol 2.7 NFS bug?

5. Sendmail: too many hops...

6. 3com Mini PCI type 3B Data-Fax-Modem

7. sendmail problem: too many hops...

8. very odd problem with hme1

9. HELP: Can send but not recieve mail with sendmail; "Too many hops"...

10. Solutions for adding IPS Hop in Sendmail

11. Next hop and o/p i/f IP address

12. increasing hop count

13. Dual Hop X export help