Help: New Quantum 730 meg IDE hard drive

Help: New Quantum 730 meg IDE hard drive

Post by Sa » Wed, 23 Nov 1994 08:46:59

I just got a new Quatum LT 730 IDE hard drive and am trying
to install Linux on it.
For it to work in DOS it needs a special install program that
changes the bias settings (actually when I check the bias it
just says TYPE 1, which is a 10 meg configuration)

I have a help EIDE file that explains how to install drives on
Linux with over 1024 Cylinders, but can't seem to get it to work

I'm using the Slackware distribution and when booted I enter
"ramdisk hd=1416,16,63"
this seems to work and allows fdisk to find the drive
bye in the doc I have it says I must enter some "Bogus" info
in the expert mode, but I don't know where to get these bogus values
from.

Help would be appreciated

thanks in advance

Sam

1. Buslogic 445C and Quantum 730 scsi drive

Hi,

  I recently purchases a BusLogics 445C SCSI adapter and a Quantum
Lightning Pro 730meg scsi drive (QULP730s).  What I would like
to do is keep linux on this scsi drive and keep drdos 6.0 on
my IDE drive.

  Ive been running Slackware for several years now.  Just to get
things up and running I downloaded the A series slackware 2.3 disks,
the scsi boot disk and the color144 root disk.  It installed and my
machine booted (both under linux and dos) just fine.  However within an
hour of the install, i noticed that whenever i ran bash, it would seg
fault.  At the same time, the following was added to
/var/adm/messages (each time i ran bash and got a seg fault a
duplicate entry of this was added):

Jun 12 23:31:15 darkstar kernel: scsi0 : resetting for second half of retries.
Jun 12 23:31:17 darkstar kernel: SCSI disk error : host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 18000002
Jun 12 23:31:17 darkstar kernel: Current error sd801: sense key Medium Error
Jun 12 23:31:17 darkstar kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 0801, sector 3174

Does it look like the Quantum is a defective drive and that
bash was written onto a bad block?

  When I run verify on the Buslogic card, it fails.  However
the drive still formats just fine, so the folks at Buslogic
felt the drive was still good. /shrug

My system is as follows
Slackware 2.3 (just the A disks right now for testing)
linux 1.2.8 (built for just Buslogic scsi support, i built
it on my IDE linux partition and moved it over).
DRDOS 6.0
486DX2-66
20 megs ram
1 meg trident 8900cl video card
1 1.44meg floppy
1 340 meg IDE drive
1  40 meg IDE drive
1 IDE card
Intel satisfaxtion 400i modem
1 Buslogic 445C scsi card
1 Quantum LP 730meg scsi drive

Thanks,
Adam Cable :)

2. question: is it possible to install two XFree version at one disk

3. Setting up Linux with 680T 730 Meg Hd - Boot - How?

4. Dial up PPP Server problem

5. Q: Anyone using ASUS SP3G w 486DX2-66 + SPEA Mercury + NCR SCSI + Quantum 730 SCSI??

6. MINI-LINUX Kernel Panic

7. New 209 Meg Seagate Hard Drives $145.00 NICE PRICE

8. Connecting to NT

9. New 383 Meg Seagate Hard Drives $269.00

10. New 383 Meg Seagate Hard Drives $269.00 GREAT PRICE

11. hdparm --> WD 730 MB IDE?

12. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

13. Problem with new IDE hard drive