Partitioning Second Drive

Post by Scott C. Sosn » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:02:10

Mandrake 9.0 install

I've installed a new 40GB drive into my server, replacing a 4GB drive.  I am
able to create the first, primary partition (though I have to create it
native and then change the type to ext3).  However, when I create the second
partition and attempt to format it the error message says "Device size
reported to be zero.  Invalid partition specified, or partition table wasn't
reread after running fdisk, due to a modified partition being busy and in
use.  You may need to reboot to re-read your partition table."

I've tried everything I can think of:
    -I've created one large partition to make sure there aren't bad blocks
somewhere
    -I've tried all different sizes of partitions.  In particular, I used
fdisk to validate the partition and got an error message about too many
sectors; however, a smaller number did not make a difference
    -I've tried creating an small, garbage partition that I can throw away,
only using it to put the real partition as a different number.
    -I've tried making the small garbage partition a swap device, no good.
    -I've tried making the garbage partition, make the true second partition
and delete the garbage partition
    -I've manually created the partition using fdisk and then tried to
format things
    -I've looked into utilities like tune2fs

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
-Scott Sosna

Partitioning Second Drive

Post by Shawn Mi » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:38:49

Have you tried partitioning the drive using fdisk, then rebooting the
machine, then trying the install with the partitions as is?

Shawn

Quote:> Mandrake 9.0 install

> I've installed a new 40GB drive into my server, replacing a 4GB drive.  I am
> able to create the first, primary partition (though I have to create it
> native and then change the type to ext3).  However, when I create the second
> partition and attempt to format it the error message says "Device size
> reported to be zero.  Invalid partition specified, or partition table wasn't
> reread after running fdisk, due to a modified partition being busy and in
> use.  You may need to reboot to re-read your partition table."

> I've tried everything I can think of:
>     -I've created one large partition to make sure there aren't bad blocks
> somewhere
>     -I've tried all different sizes of partitions.  In particular, I used
> fdisk to validate the partition and got an error message about too many
> sectors; however, a smaller number did not make a difference
>     -I've tried creating an small, garbage partition that I can throw away,
> only using it to put the real partition as a different number.
>     -I've tried making the small garbage partition a swap device, no good.
>     -I've tried making the garbage partition, make the true second partition
> and delete the garbage partition
>     -I've manually created the partition using fdisk and then tried to
> format things
>     -I've looked into utilities like tune2fs

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
> -Scott Sosna

Partitioning Second Drive

Post by Scott C. Sosn » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 00:56:56

No, I don't think I've tried that order yet...I'll give it a shot.
-scs

> Have you tried partitioning the drive using fdisk, then rebooting the
> machine, then trying the install with the partitions as is?

> Shawn

Quote:> > Mandrake 9.0 install

> > I've installed a new 40GB drive into my server, replacing a 4GB drive.
I am
> > able to create the first, primary partition (though I have to create it
> > native and then change the type to ext3).  However, when I create the
second
> > partition and attempt to format it the error message says "Device size
> > reported to be zero.  Invalid partition specified, or partition table
wasn't
> > reread after running fdisk, due to a modified partition being busy and
in
> > use.  You may need to reboot to re-read your partition table."

> > I've tried everything I can think of:
> >     -I've created one large partition to make sure there aren't bad
blocks
> > somewhere
> >     -I've tried all different sizes of partitions.  In particular, I
used
> > fdisk to validate the partition and got an error message about too many
> > sectors; however, a smaller number did not make a difference
> >     -I've tried creating an small, garbage partition that I can throw
away,
> > only using it to put the real partition as a different number.
> >     -I've tried making the small garbage partition a swap device, no
good.
> >     -I've tried making the garbage partition, make the true second
partition
> > and delete the garbage partition
> >     -I've manually created the partition using fdisk and then tried to
> > format things
> >     -I've looked into utilities like tune2fs

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
> > -Scott Sosna

Partitioning Second Drive

Post by Scott C. Sosn » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 05:01:00

That didn't work either.  However, I think I found a way.

For whatever reason, hdb5 continues to be the device I can't format.  I
fdisk'ed the new partitions, making 1 large extended partition, an hdb5 with
1 sector, and then a legitimate hdb6 and hdb7.  6 and 7 formatted
successfully and mounted, so that seems to work.

The question I have is: is there any problem in having only one large
extended partition instead of 1 primary and one secondary, as DiskDrake
wanted to create?
-scs

> No, I don't think I've tried that order yet...I'll give it a shot.
> -scs

> > Have you tried partitioning the drive using fdisk, then rebooting the
> > machine, then trying the install with the partitions as is?

> > Shawn

> > > Mandrake 9.0 install

> > > I've installed a new 40GB drive into my server, replacing a 4GB drive.
> I am
> > > able to create the first, primary partition (though I have to create
it
> > > native and then change the type to ext3).  However, when I create the
> second
> > > partition and attempt to format it the error message says "Device size
> > > reported to be zero.  Invalid partition specified, or partition table
> wasn't
> > > reread after running fdisk, due to a modified partition being busy and
> in
> > > use.  You may need to reboot to re-read your partition table."

> > > I've tried everything I can think of:
> > >     -I've created one large partition to make sure there aren't bad
> blocks
> > > somewhere
> > >     -I've tried all different sizes of partitions.  In particular, I
> used
> > > fdisk to validate the partition and got an error message about too
many
> > > sectors; however, a smaller number did not make a difference
> > >     -I've tried creating an small, garbage partition that I can throw
> away,
> > > only using it to put the real partition as a different number.
> > >     -I've tried making the small garbage partition a swap device, no
> good.
> > >     -I've tried making the garbage partition, make the true second
> partition
> > > and delete the garbage partition
> > >     -I've manually created the partition using fdisk and then tried to
> > > format things
> > >     -I've looked into utilities like tune2fs

> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
> > > -Scott Sosna

Partitioning Second Drive

Post by mjt » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 06:38:03

> That didn't work either.  However, I think I found a way.

> For whatever reason, hdb5 continues to be the device I can't format.  I
> fdisk'ed the new partitions, making 1 large extended partition, an hdb5
> with
> 1 sector, and then a legitimate hdb6 and hdb7.  6 and 7 formatted
> successfully and mounted, so that seems to work.

BTW - what is it you're trying to do? add a second distro?

if you dont have a Linux distro on this system, boot using
CD 1 (or use knoppix.com) and give us the output of: ... or if
you do have a Linux distro on the box, log in and give us
the output of:

# fdisk -l /dev/hd*

then we'll see what the issue is ...

Quote:> The question I have is: is there any problem in having only one large
> extended partition instead of 1 primary and one secondary, as DiskDrake
> wanted to create?

... yes, you can.

.

Partitioning Second Drive

Post by Scott C. Sosn » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:55:08

No, I wasn't trying to add a second distro, I just needed more space on my
servers.  In stupid-user mode, DiskDrake always creates the first partition
as a primary and the rest as secondary.  However, even when only creating
extended partitions, the hdb5 cannot be formatted.  So what I did is create
hdb5 as the smallest partition possible, not mountable, just takes up space.
Then hdb6 and hdb7 are the real partitions.  This, for whatever reason,
seems to work.

Thanks for all your help.
-Scott