NexStor NXT-93 installation help

Post by joseph schlesing » Tue, 04 Oct 1994 01:06:52

Newbie in need of installation help asks:

I am trying to install Linux on an Intel board P-66 pci (bios vers
1.00.03.AF2) system with a NexStor scsi controller, and 2 quantum
drives, using the slackware ncr boot disk.  After LILO locates and
tests the host, I get the following error messages:

        scsi0 :  DANGER : command in running list, can not abort
        [message repeated]
        SCSI host 0 abort () timed out - reseting
        scsi0 : DANGER : NCR53c7xx - reset is NOP
        Unable to reset scsi host 0 - probably a SCSI bus hang

I have read the HOW.TO docs and FAQs but can't figure how to remedy
the problem.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Joe

Post by David J Ha » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 06:00:40

>Newbie in need of installation help asks:

>I am trying to install Linux on an Intel board P-66 pci (bios vers
>1.00.03.AF2) system with a NexStor scsi controller, and 2 quantum
>drives, using the slackware ncr boot disk.  After LILO locates and
>tests the host, I get the following error messages:

>    scsi0 :  DANGER : command in running list, can not abort
>    [message repeated]
>    SCSI host 0 abort () timed out - reseting
>    scsi0 : DANGER : NCR53c7xx - reset is NOP
>    Unable to reset scsi host 0 - probably a SCSI bus hang

>I have read the HOW.TO docs and FAQs but can't figure how to remedy
>the problem.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

>Joe

I am having essentially the same problem with the yggdrasil distribution,
the Fall '94 CD. It just doesn't recognize my NexStor NXT-93, no matter
what incantations I use. The yggdrasil 900 line suggested I use
boot: linux ncr53c810=PCI,bus_id,scsi_id
but none of these seem to work. I can't even get the thing to boot from
DOS, because when I attempt to use runlinux, I get a message saying that
ther is not enough high memory, even though the only stuff I have loaded
is the NexStor ASPI package and the Corel CD-ROM drivers.

Any help would be greatly aprreciated, as I have wasted about 4 days
trying to get this thing running, and I don't want to spend much more
time on it. Already, it would have been cheaper to just rent a Unix box
to do what I need to get done. But, now that I have wasted this much time,
I am obliged to throw good time after bad, as it were :-).

David J Harr
biker scum

1. P90 Plato Board & NexStor NXT-93 - help needed

HELP !!!!
----------

I have a Plato P54C/PCI Baby-AT-Motherboard. The Bios-Version was
1.00.03.AX1Z (what show the last 4 letters?). Additinal I have a
SCSI-Controller from NexStor NXT-93 (PCI) and a PCI-Grophicadapter
#9GXE64 2MB VRAM.

As I got the system DOS and Windows were running and Linux (Kernel 1.69, 1.81)
runs till the dedection of the controller:

SCSI:...: NCR53c810 at memory 0xffbffc00, io 0xff00, irq 15
..
SCSI: 1 host
aber dann
SCSI:DANGER:command in running list, cannot abort
..
SCSI host 0 abort() timed out - resetting
SCSI:DANGER:NCR53c7xx reset is NOP
Unable to reset scsi host 0 - probably a scsi bus hang

I've read the HOWTOS FAQs NEWS and found some hints about the Plato and NCR:
so I found I should use a BIOS > 03.
Some times later I found the BIOSes on a ESCOM mailbox and have tried to
upgrade the BIOS to 1.00.10.AX1 but the FMUP discard this operation - I
think because of the AX1Z/AX1 difference.
Then I found an upgrade that does a 3AX1Z to 6AX1 with a BIOSUP programm.
After that the computer hangs in boot - there was a hint in the upgrade to
change IDE translation from LBA to STD CHS, but this dosn't help.
I don't know if it is needded for SCSI disks?

As I see there is a problem in the onboard NCR BIOS part withe the BIOS
on the NXT-93 card:

NXT-92/93 PCI SCSI BIOS Ver.151328
..
1 disk(s) handeled by bios

NCR SDMS(TM) V.3.0 53c8xx SCSI BIOS,PC,Rev 2.0
PCI208xx-3.00.07

.. here it hangs

After going back to BIOS 1.00.04.AX DOS runs after a long timeout at the
beginning.

Who can help ...?
        ~Guenther

2. iptables Firewall script

3. Kernel hang with Nexstor NXT-93 (with NCR53c810 scsi)

4. Linux PPC On Apple Duo

5. Support for NexStor NXT-92/93 SCSI controller

6. How to create a CD-writer device under RedHat 6.1

7. NXT-93/NCR53c10: multiple entries

8. mail problems w/dedicated ip address

9. Help! NexStor NXT-82 not recognized

10. NexStor NXT-74 EISA SCSI Host Adapter

11. NexStor (NXT-92) PCI SCSI card not working?

12. Yggdrasil (fall 93) help!!!!!!!! CD-ROM not detected...

13. Nec 3xi and Yggdrasil fall '93 CDROM Help?