VL + SCSI work with LINUX?

VL + SCSI work with LINUX?

Post by Sven Kno » Fri, 25 Mar 1994 18:53:07



VLB and SCSI are the LINUX' best friends.

I've got some trouble by implementation of LINUX on
a 486DX2/66 with VLB and AIC 6360 as SCSI-hostadapter.
The HDD is a MAXTOR 7345S and there is a CD-ROM TOSHIBA
XM 4101-B.

First we generated a new kernel with -DSKIP_BIOSTEST.
It found the adapter and the HDD with no problems.
But at irregular points errors like

aha152x: P_CMD: 1(0) bytes left in FIFO, resetting

appeared and the system halted or booted uncompletely.

Now I would be happy, if someone will help to answer
one of the following questions:
- Does a explaination to the above errors exist ?
- Are there better adapters (for instance the ULTRA 34F or FA)
  for SCSI/VLB/Linux ?
- Is the combination SCSI/VLB/Linux impossible in general ?
- It is better to work with a SCSI-ISA-adapter on a
  VLB-board by Linux? (How much is the influence
  on the perfomance?)

IS THERE ANYWHERE A COMBINATION VL/SCSI/LINUX, WHICH WORKS?

Many thanks

Sven


 
 
 

VL + SCSI work with LINUX?

Post by Drew Eckhar » Sat, 26 Mar 1994 09:44:34




>VLB and SCSI are the LINUX' best friends.

>I've got some trouble by implementation of LINUX on
>a 486DX2/66 with VLB and AIC 6360 as SCSI-hostadapter.
>The HDD is a MAXTOR 7345S and there is a CD-ROM TOSHIBA
>XM 4101-B.

>First we generated a new kernel with -DSKIP_BIOSTEST.
>It found the adapter and the HDD with no problems.
>But at irregular points errors like

>aha152x: P_CMD: 1(0) bytes left in FIFO, resetting

>appeared and the system halted or booted uncompletely.

>Now I would be happy, if someone will help to answer
>one of the following questions:
>- Does a explaination to the above errors exist ?

Yes.  There is a timing problem in the Adaptec 1520 driver which
is in the distribution kernel which manifests itself when used
with VLB cards, and may also be a problem with FIFO under/overflows.

A fix from Juergen follows for the first problem, and we still
haven't tracked down the roots of the second.

Quote:>- Are there better adapters (for instance the ULTRA 34F or FA)
>  for SCSI/VLB/Linux ?

The Buslogic 445S - very fast, Adaptec 1542 compatable so support
is solid under Linux and other systems.

Quote:>- Is the combination SCSI/VLB/Linux impossible in general ?

No.

Quote:>- It is better to work with a SCSI-ISA-adapter on a
>  VLB-board by Linux? (How much is the influence
>  on the perfomance?)

Throughput is usually unaffected by the bus, CPU usage
is determined not by bustype but by PIO/FIFO buffered/bus mastering,
and percentage of bus bandwidth used (ie, impact on other bus
hogs like video performance) is determined by bus type.

Quote:>IS THERE ANYWHERE A COMBINATION VL/SCSI/LINUX, WHICH WORKS?

Linux + Buslogic 445S + cluster patches + adaptec 1540 driver
works extremely well for many people.

Quote:>Many thanks

I've appended Jurgen's fix, it won't hurt anything to give it
a try -



Subject: aha152x patches for VLB boards

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 09:57:18 -0100 (GMT-1:00)

X-Mn-Key: SCSI
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL17]
Content-Type: text
Content-Length: 1973      

Hi Folks !

We've  found the problem with the aha152x code on vlb bus machines. It
seems that a insw is to fast for 6360 on vlb, so that it can't notice
every read attempt and so the driver thinks it has read more data than
the 6360 has supplied.  I've substituted the insw with  a inw loop and
with this change it seems to work.

Patches (btw 0.102 is the original source in p14x):
--- 0.102       1994/01/31 20:44:12

 /* aha152x.c -- Adaptec AHA-152x driver

- * Copyright 1993 Juergen E. Fischer
+ * Copyright 1993, 1994 Juergen E. Fischer
  *
  *

 #undef  DEBUG_QUEUES            /* debug reselection */

 /* recently used for debugging */
-#if 0
-#define DEBUG_PHASES
-#define DEBUG_DATAI
-#endif
+#define VLB

 #endif

                   }
                 else
                   {
+#ifdef VLB
+                    int                        words;
+                    unsigned short     *ptr;
+#endif
+
                     CLRBITS(DMACNTRL0, _8BIT );
                     data_count >>= 1; /* Number of words */
+#ifndef VLB
                     insw( DATAPORT, current_SC->SCp.ptr, data_count );
+#else
+                    ptr   = (unsigned short *) current_SC->SCp.ptr;
+                   words = data_count;
+                   while(words--)
+                       *ptr++ = inw( DATAPORT );
+#endif
 #if defined(DEBUG_DATAI)
 /* show what comes with the last transfer */
                     if(done)

Please try out these patches by recompiling with DEBUG enabled (VLB will be
defined then).

Juergen

 
 
 

1. Adaptec 2842 SCSI VL Bus Master Controller - does it work with Linux

Hello

I have seen a number of messages in this conference regarding the Adaptec
2842 SCSI controller (VESA Bus Master), reporting different problem they
encountered with it.  I am in the processing of purchasing a new computer and
I just was wondering if there are people out there using this card with Linux
and heaving no problems with it.

Thanks,
Marcin Komorowski

2. rz executable for SCO 3.2v4.2?

3. SIIG SCSI Controller SCSI-PRO VL

4. Where can I find driver for NE2000 PCI

5. Build Kernel notsee scsiAVA1505

6. LINUX, Adaptec SCSI and VL bus > 33MHZ

7. Installing Open Server 5.0

8. Linux with Adaptec 2842 VL bus scsi card

9. Is SIIG SCSI Pro VL supported by Linux

10. VL-SCSI Card supported by linux??

11. Tyan S1392 VL-SCSI

12. Adaptec AVA 2825 VL SCSI IDE ?