Going from smail -> sendmail : help

Post by Anders Nattest » Sat, 23 Jul 1994 21:54:14

Hi all,

I have trouble getting the SENDMAIL 5.67b to work.

I can send outgoing internet mail just fine, but I can't recieve any mail -
not even from local to local user. Everything incoming disappears without
warning back to sender. I have a direct TCP link to the internet.

I have turned debugging on with the syslog.conf file and get the following
message :

Jul 22 14:25:03 linux sendmail[84] : AA00078: to=anders, delay 00:00:01,
stat=I/O error, mailer=local, relay=linux.odont.ku.dk

I have tried looking in all the avaliable documentation so please don't
reply RTFM, please.

Can anyone point in a problem-solving direction - thanks.

Anders

Anders Nattestad, DDS, Ph.D, Dep. of *and Maxillo* Surgery
and Chairman of Computer Network and Multimedia Division.
Dental School,  Faculty of Health Science, University of Copenhagen
Norre Alle 20, Copenhagen, Denmark, Ph.+4535326618, Fax +4535326625

Post by Jason Ha » Tue, 26 Jul 1994 17:13:40

: I have turned debugging on with the syslog.conf file and get the following
: message :

: Jul 22 14:25:03 linux sendmail[84] : AA00078: to=anders, delay 00:00:01,
: stat=I/O error, mailer=local, relay=linux.odont.ku.dk

I can't remember what the syslog format was for sendmail 5.x, but perhaps
your local mailer doesn't exist or is misconfigured?

grep Mlocal sendmail.cf

What does that tell you about your local mailer (it should be something
like /bin/mail.local)

This _must_ be a setuid root program to work correctly. Actually you can
test it by using it to send mail to another account on your system

e.g

mail.local root

sdfdsfdsfdsf

fd
fd

<Ctl-D>

If that gives you some write-error - there's your problem.

BTW, I'd suggest dumping sendmail-5.x and either use sendmail-8.6.9 or
sendmail-IDA - there are too many security holes in other versions to
simply ignore.

 --

Cheers,

Jason