LINUX won't recognize in-2000 SCSI

Post by Tom Jon » Thu, 30 Jun 1994 00:31:15

I have a 486 configured with 8 MBytes RAM, a 425 MB IDE Drive and a 1050
MB SCSI Drive.  I have an Always Technology IN-2000 Host Adapter
configured to the default settings.  The SCSI Drive is configured as
device 0.  Everything is happy in DOS and Windows and the system is able
to access both drives.  The problem is that I can't get LINUX to even
acknowledge the presense of the IN-2000 host adapter.  It finds the IDE
drive fine, but that is where I have all of my DOS and Windows Stuff and
I'd really like to install the LINUX on the SCSI drive.

After LINUX starts the boot process, there is a point at which it
identifies what it found.  I get SCSI host adapters = 0, hard drives = 0
tape drives = 0, or something like that.

I've tried different addresses, and interupts for the Host adapter and
different device ID's for the drive.  DOS and Windows are happy with many
combinations, but LINUX doesn't seem to like any of them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  What am I missing?

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks,

                               Tom Jones

Post by BeavisR » Thu, 30 Jun 1994 06:29:10

Quote:(Tom Jones) writes:
>I have a 486 configured with 8 MBytes RAM, a 425 MB IDE Drive and a
1050
>MB SCSI Drive.  I have an Always Technology IN-2000 Host Adapter
>configured to the default settings.  The SCSI Drive is configured as
>device 0.  Everything is happy in DOS and Windows and the system is
able
>to access both drives.  The problem is that I can't get LINUX to
even
>acknowledge the presense of the IN-2000 host adapter.  It finds the
IDE
>drive fine, but that is where I have all of my DOS and Windows Stuff
and
>I'd really like to install the LINUX on the SCSI drive.

You need a different boot disk..  If you are using slackware, you can
get it by ftp from sunsite.unc.edu - I think it's in
/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/install/in2000, but don't take my
word for it.  Install with that disk, and then after you install
recompile your kernel with the patches installed...

1. SCSI bus hangs on a IN-2000 SCSI

Hello,
        I am running an old 386 computer with Linux 1.3.56 compiled.  I have
IN-2000 SCSI card which is supported by the kernel.  On bootup it is detected
perfectly.  Everything comes out just the way it should; I can even mount the
dos partion of the harddrive without a problem.  However, when I go to make a
swapfile on the SCSI I get an error.  First Linux tries to reset the SCSI then
it gets an error which locks up the system and it says, "probably SCSI bus
hang."  Then I have to move the swap file back to the EIDE drive.  I want to
kill the partion for the swap on the EIDE and put it on the SCSI so linux and
its swap are on seperate drives to help speed this slow machine up.  I would
appreciate the help, no one i find knows too much about SCSI.

                        Thanks,
                        James

2. programming w/ curses

3. Always IN-2000 scsi hd controller card probs -w- LILO/BOOT in Linux

4. Could someone compile a kernel for me?

5. Win Linux 2000 and Monitor won't play nice

6. diald serial device

7. IN-2000 SCSI Controller?

8. Looking for high quality OCR software

9. IN-2000 & SCSI CD-ROM, Promise 2300+ & IDE HD

10. Always IN-2000 SCSI card

11. Always IN-2000 SCSI Card

12. IN-2000 SCSI ALWAYS Slackware Boot Disk Not Working

13. IN-2000 SCSI DRIVER..help!