Need help using Sony CD-ROM drive w/Linux

Need help using Sony CD-ROM drive w/Linux

Post by G.M. Are » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 00:57:02

Hi,

     I am using Linux V0.99.15, and I recompiled the kernel a little while
ago with support for my recently acquired Sony CD-ROM drive (model CDU31A
I think - whatever the model number is for the internal double-speed drive).
Anyway, when booting up the system appears to recognize it, initialize it
properly, and recognize it and the interface (a SB-compatible sound card)
correctly as well as the drive's features (double-speed, earphone jack,
tray loading, etc.). The drive works fine under DOS, so there's nothing
wrong with it at all.
     My question is: How do I mount a CD-ROM file system? I have no CD-ROMs
that are directly usable by Linux, but suppose I happen to be in Linux and
I need to check something on a CD-ROM that has DOS programs on it? Also, is
there any way to play audio CD's through the speakers while in Linux? I have
no regular audio CD player as I only have an old boom box with a tape player;
so this CD-ROM drive has to serve as my CD player until I get one. I have the
CDPLAY.EXE program from Sony that came with drive, but obviously that won't
work with Linux.
     Any help would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,
Greg A.

Post by Hillel Y. Si » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 12:59:57

: Hi,

:      I am using Linux V0.99.15, and I recompiled the kernel a little while
: ago with support for my recently acquired Sony CD-ROM drive (model CDU31A
: I think - whatever the model number is for the internal double-speed drive).
: Anyway, when booting up the system appears to recognize it, initialize it
: properly, and recognize it and the interface (a SB-compatible sound card)
: correctly as well as the drive's features (double-speed, earphone jack,
: tray loading, etc.). The drive works fine under DOS, so there's nothing
: wrong with it at all.

fallacy #1: something that works fine under dos has nothing wrong with it
  -dos itself has plenty wrong with it, so it may be masking symptoms of
   other problems. however, this has nothing to do with what you were asking,
   and i wonder why you even mention it, as if the drive doesn't work from
   linux, when really you just don't know how to access it. i merely wished
   to point out that dos == doody

anyhow,
:      My question is: How do I mount a CD-ROM file system? I have no CD-ROMs
: that are directly usable by Linux, but suppose I happen to be in Linux and
: I need to check something on a CD-ROM that has DOS programs on it? Also, is

[seinfeld] ~ (502) mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom
(/cdrom, or whatever directory you wish to mount it into)
oh wait, you might need /dev/cdu-something or other, but you get the point.
then simply "cd /cdrom; ls; etc" just like any other directory

: there any way to play audio CD's through the speakers while in Linux? I have
: no regular audio CD player as I only have an old boom box with a tape player;
: so this CD-ROM drive has to serve as my CD player until I get one. I have the
: CDPLAY.EXE program from Sony that came with drive, but obviously that won't
: work with Linux.

workman from X, workbone from the console, also xplaycd (i hear it's a nice
one, but haven't tried it)
you possibly have workman/workbone already if you have slackware. btw, you have
a very old kernel version, and might wish to update, as there may be updates
to the cdu31a driver since .99.15

--

                             Howard Stern for Pope!
"Is rot13 rotated 13 forward or backward?"

1. Using SUN CD ROM (SONY CD-ROM) with Ultri

Basically, the subject line says it all.  For various reasons, I don't want
to do backups as root, but rather as a user who's in the "operator" group.
[And yes, I know that the "operator" gid for Ultrix (28) != SunOS "operator"
gid (5). :( ]  The "oper" accounts have been identically entered into both
machines' /etc/passwd files, to minimize pilot error.

So I have user "oper", common UID=99, GID=28 (Ultrix 4.x "operator"), and GID=5
(SunOS 4.x "operator").  I try invoking rdump from the Ultrix 4.[1-3] boxes to
the Sun 4.x tape server:

% /bin/rdump 0odsBf 54000 6000 126 dat_host:/dev/rst5 /dev/rrz0a

and...

Permission denied.

ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Now, when I add to the Ultrix machine's hostname to the Sun's ---> /.rhosts <---
file (never mind the dump user is NOT root!), rdump goes on its merry way...
You'd (I'd) think that putting the Ultrix hostname in ~oper/.rhosts on the
Sun (to enable the connection) would do the trick, but that gets me nowhere:
still "Permission denied."

What is going on!?  I have the same sort of arrangement between the Sun tape
server and the RS/6000's and Solaris boxes on the network, and that setup
works fine for them... There seems to be some breakdown in the connection
negotiation step between the Ultrix boxes and the Sun.  Still, I don't under-
stand why that brokenness wouldn't show up also for the other manufacturers.
(In case it isn't obvious, my other Sun-to-Sun dumps are working fine in
this arrangement.)

It sure looks like a security/permissions issue -- obviously, when I have the
Sun's /.rhosts file including the Ultrix hostname(s), rdump works for the root
user as well.  However, this defeats my intent of disallowing (easy) network
root access to the tape server, so this is not a player as a solution.

Can somebody clue me in please?

TIA,

-Tim

---
#define DISCLAIMER "I don't even represent myself, much less anyone else!"

2. Sympatico and Linux

3. Any one using Sony CDU 541 CD-ROM drive with ST-02 ?

4. ATI mach 32 and mouse problem!!!!!!!!

5. HELP: need linux cd-rom drivers for Sony 55E

6. using objdump to debug some n/w code in kernel

7. SB16 with Sony CD-ROM drive. Help!

8. Last argument or pid???

9. Help install from sb16-hosted Sony CD-ROM drive?

10. Plug&Play Linux installation help (using Mitsumi quad speed CD-ROM Drive)

11. CD-ROM mount needs source <--> source needs CD-ROM mount

12. Sony CDU-535 CD-ROM drive & Linux 1.2.0 NOT WORKING

13. Need Help with Sony CDU-31A CD-ROM