TIA - Q: Linux SLIP setup

Post by Charles Cour » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 13:20:47

Has anyone successfully installed and setup TIA and Linux SLIP?
If so, would you be so kind as to post excerpts from your
/etc/xxx files?

regards,
        chuck

TIA - Q: Linux SLIP setup

Post by Brian A. Li » Tue, 22 Nov 1994 13:07:18

>Has anyone successfully installed and setup TIA and Linux SLIP?
>Ie so, would you be so kind as to post excerpts from your
>/etc/xxx files?

Here's a script I run, as root, after I run TIA on Netcom and quit
out of kermit:

#!/bin/sh
slattach -s 38400 -p slip modem &
sleep 3
ifconfig sl0 192.0.2.1 mtu 1500
route add default gw 192.0.2.1 metric 1

Brian A. Lind                                       KODAK Health Imaging Systems
Internet Engineer                                   Software Engineer

The easiest way to predict the future is to make it happen.

TIA - Q: Linux SLIP setup

Post by Iris » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 22:22:34

>Has anyone successfully installed and setup TIA and Linux SLIP?
>If so, would you be so kind as to post excerpts from your
>/etc/xxx files?

        Here ya go, free samples!

******/ETC/HOSTS************
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       <your.hostname.domain>
XXX.XXX.XX.XX   <servers.name.domain> <abbreviation>

        Where the Xs are your servers IP address

********/ETC/HOSTS.CONF*******
order hosts, bind
multi on

*******/ETC/RESOLV.CONF************
domain <yourdomain>
nameserver XXX.XXX.XX.XX

        Where the Xs are your servers nameservice IP address (usually the
same as in /etc/hosts)

        And for Good Measure, here's a dip script:

----------CUT HERE--------------------------------

main:
  get $local <hostname.domain>
  get $remote <servername.domain>
  port cua?
  speed 38400
  reset
  init AT<string>
  wait OK 5

dial:
  dial <phonenumber>
  print Dialing...
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error
  wait BUSY 20                  #<--You may need to change this wait time
  if $errlvl == 0 goto dial     #   to suit your modem

login:
  print Connected and Logging in...
  wait ==> 60                        #This first wait and send get me past my
  send 1\n                      #servers annex
  wait login: 60
  if $errlvl != 0 goto login_error
  send <LOGIN>\n
  wait password: 60
  if $errlvl != 0 goto login_error
  send <PASSWORD>\n

loggedin:
  wait <systemprompt>
  if $errlvl != 0 goto shell_error
  print Logged in!
  send tia\n            #<--You can use whatever you need to start tia here.
  wait software. 60     #Examples: tia.beta, exec tia.beta, tia.beta -r, etc.
  print Starting TIA...
  get $mtu 296          #<--Tia recommends 1500, but this is faster
  default               #interactively. Ftp will be slower, so adjust to taste.

done:
  print CONNECTED to $remote with address $rmtip
  mode SLIP
  goto exit

error:
  print Dialing Error

login_error:
  print No Login

shell_error:
  print Ooops!

exit:
  \r

-------------CUT HERE-----------------------------

        If you require more steps for your server, just add them in the
        \n=newline, \r=carriage return. Your server may require one or
the other (or both) in the appropriate places, if the ones provided don't
work, experiment.

        Good Luck!
--
       Irish                                   __________________________

 Linux and TIA help  | Reusable at many major |   FREE LINUX SOFTWARE!   |
Available on request |  FTP sites near you!   |__________________________|

1. Help with Slip/TIA setup please...

I'm trying to setup a SLIP/TIA combo, and I have couple questions, and
would appriciate any help.

1.  What do I need to install form the N sets besides dip?  When I
installed all of it, I got some nasty messages on bootup about not being
able to connected to connect to the domain name I gave my machine.
Also dip told me 'Unknown host error'.

2.  Is it possible for dip and TIA to work together at all?

Thanks!

Eric

2. Old Mono card as Console ?

3. Linux/SLIP <-> SuOs/Tia ?

4. Trying to save OpenLook desktop???

5. Linux, SLIP & TIA help

6. Sometimes, when i run Windows

7. Linux SLIP and TIA (the internet adapter)

8. Help Requested: Any problems installing/running Linux on a Packard Bell Force 487CDT PC?

9. Slip from Linux + xwindows with TIA the Internet adaptor?

10. Linux help needed-Slip,dip,netcom shell,tia specific

11. Linux SLIP from a TIA

12. Qs about Linux setup on Compaq 486 notebook

13. HELP: "SLIP" via TIA, dns problem