Password Aging and Shadow File

Post by Ali E Ayda » Thu, 09 Jun 1994 12:36:37

Hi....

I was wondering how to implement password aging on my system.  I was
told that some versions of Linux have this capability.  I am running
1.0.8.  I would prefer to stay with this version.  If there is any way I
can implement password again, I'd appreciate anyone leading me in the
right direction.  Also, I was told that a shadow file must first be
implemented before password aging can be implemented.  I have not been
able to find any documentation on doing this however.  I would also be
interested in setting something like this up as well.

Please reply via email if possible, as this bboard has too much traffic
to sort through....

Thanks!

Ali Aydar

1. HELP: NIS w/shadow password and password aging, etc

I would like to enhance password security on three master NIS servers (each with a different vendor's flavor of unix; IBM AIX, SGI IRIX, and SUN OS).  My fantasy is to implement shadow passwords along with password aging, and password checking as is available with the npasswd program from UTEXAS.  I would like users to be able to change their NIS password from any NIS client, while at the same time guaranteeing that the passwords will comply with any npasswd style rules implemented.  Also, as some users never log into the NIS master, notification of expired passwords would also have to be proprogated to the NIS clients.

Is this possible?

Thank you,
Jim Byrnes
Departments of Chemical and Mechanical Engineering
Center for Composite Materials
University of Delaware

2. Lost Root Password. LILO/bootdisk problem

3. Shadow password files vs. non-shadowed passwords

4. A good WAIS-WWW gateway script

5. Converting old-style password file to new password/shadow file

6. Trust SoundExpert de Luxe Wave32. Is it OK and usable ?

7. xdm not honoring shadow password aging/expiry ?

8. copying links

9. ERROR: KDE shadow password error although no shadow passwords used

10. Are FreeBSD password/shadow files flat text files?

11. Need file for password aging

12. disable password aging & lost of root password on SCO Unixware 2.1.2

13. refresh shadow password using shadow.h