Help: soundblaster 16, mitsumi cd, slack pro 2.0 installation

Help: soundblaster 16, mitsumi cd, slack pro 2.0 installation

Post by Sean McGra » Tue, 23 Aug 1994 06:06:33

Help: SoundBlaster 16 & Mitsumi CD bootdisk for slackware pro 2.0

I have  a soundblaster 16 with a mitsumi cd drive connected to it.
neither spbcd or mitsumi bootdisk images detect the cd.

the cd works great under dos.  is there a regular sb16 bootdisk
available, or do i have to go buy a separate mitsumi controller?

noe: the mitsumi is NOT hooked to a scsi port on the soundblaster 16,
      but some other proprietary cd connector on the card.  the
      soundblaster card IS at its standard defaults (ie. irq, address,
      dma...)

thanks,
sean

--
"The goal of every engineer is to retire without getting blamed for a
 major catastrophe."                                      -- Dilbert

Post by David Mey » Wed, 24 Aug 1994 03:16:28

>Help: SoundBlaster 16 & Mitsumi CD bootdisk for slackware pro 2.0

>I have  a soundblaster 16 with a mitsumi cd drive connected to it.
>neither spbcd or mitsumi bootdisk images detect the cd.

>the cd works great under dos.  is there a regular sb16 bootdisk
>available, or do i have to go buy a separate mitsumi controller?

>noe: the mitsumi is NOT hooked to a scsi port on the soundblaster 16,
>      but some other proprietary cd connector on the card.  the
>      soundblaster card IS at its standard defaults (ie. irq, address,
>      dma...)

I can tell you what your problem is, though I'm not sure I have a good
solution for you.  The standard mitsumi interface uses base
address=300h and irq=10; the sb16 mitsumi interface uses ba=340h and
irq=11.

I'm pretty sure that under 1.1.18, the base address and irq are
compiled into the kernel at ba=300h and irq=10.  As far as I know, you
have two options: 1) disable the sb16 and use a mitsumi card at
300,10; you can recompile the kernel once you've installed linux to
use the sb16 settings, or 2) find a boot floppy with a newer version
of the kernel; sometime between 1.1.18 and 1.1.45 a boot option was
added - you'd want mcd=340,11 for the sb16.  You can try the boot
option under 1.1.18, but I don't think it'll work.

                Dave
--
David M. Meyer                             Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering

NeXTmail ok