continuous ARP:Bad packet received on device "eth0"!

continuous ARP:Bad packet received on device "eth0"!

Post by Carlos S. Perez Ram » Sun, 22 Aug 1993 05:08:50

I have just installed the SLS 1.03 distribution of Linux (0.99.11) on my
computer.  When the machine boots I get the error message:

    ARP:Bad packet received on device "eth0"!

continuously, at a rate of about once every 5 seconds. The ethernet link seems
to otherwise work OK. I can ftp and telnet from my machine and telnet into my
machine (at least to the point of getting the login screen).  If I fire up X,
the bash window does not display the error messages and ftp and telnet work
OK.  If I pull the ethernet cable from the jack, the messages stop.

I have read the NET-2 FAQ and, to the best of my knowledge, have followed
their recommendations to setup the basic TCP/IP services only.

My network card is a 3Com 3c503/16, using thin wire. My computer is a PC_Brand
486-25(DX) with 16M RAM and 8M+ swap partition.  The video adapter is an
Orchid ProDesigner II (TSENG 4000).

Any help would be appreciated.

 Opinions expressed herein are exclusively my opinions and
 in no way represent NASA nor the U.S. Government. Anybody
 who thinks otherwise is just itching for a fight!

continuous ARP:Bad packet received on device "eth0"!

Post by system adm » Tue, 24 Aug 1993 17:27:43

I had the same problem some time ago. The solution was to install the
real pl11-kernel. Before I had a pl11-beta from SLS distribution.
Since I upgraded to pl11 everything works. You should check your
pl11.tar.gz against a version on sunsite, tsx-11 or other.

Tom.

Thomas Voss                                        Phone: +49 0241/807893
Institute of Semiconductor Electronics - II        Fax:   +49 0241/86165
Technical University Aachen
Germany

   --

as I was and on the same local network. It turns out that one of the machines
on the net was sending ARP packets with a type = IEEE 802.2, which is different

Anyone know how the net development effort is going? any idea when these problems
are going to be resolved ?

John

--
John Burton                      G & A Technical Software, Inc.

1. How to solve ARP: Bad packet received on device "eth0"?

Hello, all.

I'm getting

    ARP: Bad packet received on device "eth0"

randomly on my system after my recent upgrade to SLS 1.03 (before Peter
added pl12A).  Since I haven't seen others with this problem, I suppose
it's my setup somewhere.  Running SLS 1.02 on our net seems to be fine.

I have a SMC Elite 16T (WD8013) hooked up to a network with Suns, DECs,
SGIs, and Linux 0.99pl9 w/ net-1 code (SLS 1.02).  I've tried recompiling
the kernel with and without ethernet card autoprobe.  I've also tried using
the rc.inet* from the net-2 distribution.  The file arp.c says:

 /* If this test doesn't pass, something fishy is going on. */

Can someone suggest what's fishy?  This problem doesn't seem to affect the
operation of the system, since rlogin, telnet, and ftp work.  Does it have
any ill effects other than making text mode work difficult?

Thanks for any help,

James.

Try Linux, the freely distributable Unix clone for the 386/486.

2. UNIX calendar managers/schedulers?

3. ARP: Non-Ip request on device "eth0"

4. Kernel does not recognize block device

5. Difference between "man arp" and "man 7 arp" ?

6. solaris 2.5/sparc crash

7. ARP: Non-IP request on device "eth0"!

8. Avoid AST machines for Linux

9. ARP: Non-IP request on device "eth0" !

10. "eth0" vs. "eth0:1"

11. eth0 and eth1 "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and "Delaying eth1 Initialization" errors

13. netstat -s output: "packets pruned" and "packets collapsed"