Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Post by ZRW » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:59:43



Hi

I need to have the kernel sources installed in order to compile some
software that requires it. I am running Mandrake 9.1 (i86) and use the
package management interface in Mandrake Control Center.

The kernel-source package is nowhere to find on any of the CDs. What
kind of a stupid distribution is this anyway if the package management
doesn't allow you to install the kernel-source package ?

I located the SRPM on a neaby ftp mirror, but it is impossible to
install it because when I specify the source for the package
management interface, it wants to know the relative path for an
hdlist.cz for the SRPMs which is nowhere to find. Not entering that
information causes the package manager to disable the source
altogether so I can't install it.

Can anybody please give me some hints?

Alternatively, is there a not-too-difficult to handle Linux distro
that will give me the option to have the kernel sources installed
automatically? If so, I may be better off to ditch Mandrake
altogether, because I have only just installed the system last
weekend.

If I have have to waste another two days on trying to get the kernel
sources installed, I might as well start over with a better
distribution. I only picked Mandrake because it was supposed to be
easy but so far it has been a disappointment.

any hints appreciated, thanks
ZR

 
 
 

Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Post by POOP » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:23:53



> Hi

> I need to have the kernel sources installed in order to compile some
> software that requires it. I am running Mandrake 9.1 (i86) and use the
> package management interface in Mandrake Control Center.

> The kernel-source package is nowhere to find on any of the CDs. What
> kind of a stupid distribution is this anyway if the package management
> doesn't allow you to install the kernel-source package ?

It's on CD# 3
Do you have it?
If you do login as root and do:
urpmi kernel-source

You can also download this package from any mandrake mirror to your
HD. 'cd' to the directory you saved it in and do:

urpmi kernel-source*

It's not very complicated, the source files are not installed because not
everybody needs them, and they take up a lot of space.

--
POOP

 
 
 

Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Post by Nick Colema » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:25:39



> The kernel-source package is nowhere to find on any of the CDs.

It's on the third disk.  If you only got two disks, say from a magazine, you
don't have it.

Quote:

> I located the SRPM on a neaby ftp mirror, but it is impossible to
> install it because when I specify the source for the package
> management interface, it wants to know the relative path for an
> hdlist.cz for the SRPMs which is nowhere to find. Not entering that
> information causes the package manager to disable the source
> altogether so I can't install it.

Open the ftp site in your browser.  Go up a directory level.  See if the
hdlist.cz file is there.  Repeat until you find it, then enter the
*relative* path from the SRPM directory into the package manager.  If it
doesn't have a hdlist.cz file, find another ftp site.  Alternatively you
could just download the rpm and install it from a local directory, although
this won't provide new updates.

BTW, there is a new update to the kernel source available from the update
site.  Haven't tried it yet.

Quote:> distribution. I only picked Mandrake because it was supposed to be
> easy but so far it has been a disappointment.

It is easy, I think you're just getting a bit frustrated with this problem.
--
Nick
Mandrake 9.1
KDE 3.1
 
 
 

Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Post by mjt » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:38:33



> If I have have to waste another two days on trying to get the kernel
> sources installed, I might as well start over with a better
> distribution. I only picked Mandrake because it was supposed to be
> easy but so far it has been a disappointment.

... i'm quite surprised that mandrake is not 'cooperating' with you.
check /usr/src/linux to see if it's there. anyway, the sources
ARE on one of the CDs; i think you're just missing it. as an aside,
suse will installs the sources as default, IMSMC.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

 
 
 

Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Post by Gophe » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:53:01



> Hi

> I need to have the kernel sources installed in order to compile some
> software that requires it. I am running Mandrake 9.1 (i86) and use the
> package management interface in Mandrake Control Center.

> The kernel-source package is nowhere to find on any of the CDs. What
> kind of a stupid distribution is this anyway if the package management
> doesn't allow you to install the kernel-source package ?

> I located the SRPM on a neaby ftp mirror, but it is impossible to
> install it because when I specify the source for the package
> management interface, it wants to know the relative path for an
> hdlist.cz for the SRPMs which is nowhere to find. Not entering that
> information causes the package manager to disable the source
> altogether so I can't install it.

> Can anybody please give me some hints?

> Alternatively, is there a not-too-difficult to handle Linux distro
> that will give me the option to have the kernel sources installed
> automatically? If so, I may be better off to ditch Mandrake
> altogether, because I have only just installed the system last
> weekend.

> If I have have to waste another two days on trying to get the kernel
> sources installed, I might as well start over with a better
> distribution. I only picked Mandrake because it was supposed to be
> easy but so far it has been a disappointment.

> any hints appreciated, thanks
> ZR

It's on cd3, kernel-source-2.4.21-0.13mdk.rpm. The most likely reason it
isn't showing up in the gui rpm installer is it's already installed on your
system, it only shows packages that have not been installed. The sources
are installed in /usr/src/linux/. The kernel sources got installed on your
system if you installed the development packages.

some stuff to read

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://rute.sourceforge.net/  downloadable Linux Manual
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alex.bache/mandrake-faq.html  AOLM FAQ

Lighten up,
Goph
--
Google is your friend
http://www.google.com
http://groups.google.com
remove the_obvious to reply

 
 
 

Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Post by ZRW » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:54:26


thanks everybody for your responses.


Quote:> It's on cd3, kernel-source-2.4.21-0.13mdk.rpm. The most likely reason it
> isn't showing up in the gui rpm installer is it's already installed on your
> system, it only shows packages that have not been installed. The sources
> are installed in /usr/src/linux/. The kernel sources got installed on your
> system if you installed the development packages.

No, actually, I didn't have any /usr/src/linux, the first thing I
checked ;-)

Anyway, I tossed the installation and reinstalled Mandrake from
scratch, but this time using the netinstaller boot floppy.

I used ftp.planetmirror.com (Australian mirror) and that showed the
kernel sources in the package manager interface. Took about two hours
to reinstall the whole system and now everything I need is there.

So, my advice to everyone out there with broadband internet wanting to
install Mandrake would be

- don't waste your time with CD burning, do an ftp installation

1) download the first CD only
2) mount the ISO image and copy the netinstall.img to create a boot
floppy
3) boot from the floppy and point the installer to a nearby ftp site

that's a lot better than fiddling with CDs where the installer seems
to be confused about what packages are on what CD, then not showing
you all the available packages.

thanks again
regards
ZR

Quote:

> some stuff to read

> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> http://rute.sourceforge.net/  downloadable Linux Manual
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alex.bache/mandrake-faq.html  AOLM FAQ

> Lighten up,
> Goph

 
 
 

Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Post by Marquez LaMaistre » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:50:12


Quote:> No, actually, I didn't have any /usr/src/linux, the first thing I
> checked ;-)

Did you install the kernel-source? If not then urpmi kernel-source should
install it.

Quote:> So, my advice to everyone out there with broadband internet wanting to
> install Mandrake would be

> - don't waste your time with CD burning, do an ftp installation

Skip that. If you are into net-installs then you have to try Bonxai Linux (aka
mini-woody).  :)

Quote:> that's a lot better than fiddling with CDs where the installer seems
> to be confused about what packages are on what CD, then not showing
> you all the available packages.

How long did it take for you to install mandrake from the net?

--
Marquez LaMa?stres
E-Mail: lamaistres(at)charter(dot)net
http://webpages.charter.net/lamaistres/
Human Knowledge Belongs to the World.

 
 
 

Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Post by ZRW » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:47:49



> How long did it take for you to install mandrake from the net?

something like two hours +/-

I didn't exactly watch the time. the installer first claimed 5 hours
but it was finished in less than half that estimate.

 
 
 

Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Post by CyberCF » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:05:19



> So, my advice to everyone out there with broadband internet wanting to
> install Mandrake would be

> - don't waste your time with CD burning, do an ftp installation

> 1) download the first CD only

Why would anyone want to download a 650MB iso to get a 1.44MB disk image
when I can get the image off the distribution tree I am going to do the
ftp install from.

Check here

ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/Mandrake/9.1/i586/images

--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx

 
 
 

Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Post by mjt » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:34:09



> Why would anyone want to download a 650MB iso to get a 1.44MB disk image
> when I can get the image off the distribution tree I am going to do the
> ftp install from.

... i give up, why?       :)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

 
 
 

Where is the kernel-source package and how do I install it?

Post by ZRW » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:27:08



> Why would anyone want to download a 650MB iso to get a 1.44MB disk image
> when I can get the image off the distribution tree I am going to do the
> ftp install from.

> Check here

> ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/Mandrake/9.1/i586/images

Good point, thanks.

as I had previously tried the install off the CDs, I had the ISO still
around and so I wasn't looking for the floppy images elsewhere ;-)

 
 
 

1. Installable kernel RPM from a kernel-source package?

I've been using linux since RH 4.x but I've never messed with the kernel
other that rpm -Uvh kernel*.  What I want to do is download the same
version of the kernel-source package, run make xconfig to tune it to my
machine and then make an RPM from it that I can install over top the
other one.  Can anyone let me know how this is done?  I've searched
around
google but can't find any aricles or tuorials on it.

2. filesystem 400GB

3. Anyway to recover origianl kernel source from RH6.0-ified kernel-source?

4. multi-thread, can you help me??

5. i am getting the follwoing error while install the packages

6. Change Display Mode

7. rh 7.3 kernel source : rpm installed, but no source?

8. txconn from term209 gives: can't open display error.

9. Changing Kernel - what am I doing wrong?

10. Kernel compile error...what am I doing wrong?

11. Install - what am i doing wrong?

12. RedHat 5.2 Install.. What am I doing wrong?

13. Can't install kernel-source