DIP gets stuck on get $remote remote

Post by Daniel Anthony Sim » Mon, 10 Oct 1994 10:47:49

I am trying to gain access through my school's dynamic slip
server. I do this all the time through windows, but I have having
trouble with dip.

I appear to have dip 3.3.7 and I am following the example in the
Matt Welsh installation guide.

When the script gets to get $remote remote is gets stuck and
hangs. Is there something that is undocumented? Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Also if there is a way to actually see
what is coming back through the modem, that would help as well.

Thanks in advance.

-Dan Simon
Nuclear Physics Lab

Post by Dennis Duffn » Mon, 10 Oct 1994 12:10:57

: I am trying to gain access through my school's dynamic slip
: server. I do this all the time through windows, but I have having
: trouble with dip.

: I appear to have dip 3.3.7 and I am following the example in the
: Matt Welsh installation guide.

: When the script gets to get $remote remote is gets stuck and
: hangs. Is there something that is undocumented? Any help would
: be greatly appreciated. Also if there is a way to actually see
: what is coming back through the modem, that would help as well.

: Thanks in advance.

: -Dan Simon
: Nuclear Physics Lab

You need to put the name of your gateway in the 'get $remote' line.

--
/-------------------------------------------------\
| Dennis Duffner               "No matter where   |

| #include disclaimer.h           Buckaroo Bonzai |
\-------------------------------------------------/

Post by Darrell Be » Mon, 10 Oct 1994 20:24:33

>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help

>Subject: Re: DIP gets stuck on get $remote remote

>Date: Sun, 9 Oct 1994 03:10:57 GMT

>: I am trying to gain access through my school's dynamic slip
>: server. I do this all the time through windows, but I have having
>: trouble with dip.
>: I appear to have dip 3.3.7 and I am following the example in the
>: Matt Welsh installation guide.
>: When the script gets to get $remote remote is gets stuck and
>: hangs. Is there something that is undocumented? Any help would
>: be greatly appreciated. Also if there is a way to actually see
>: what is coming back through the modem, that would help as well.
>: Thanks in advance.
>: -Dan Simon
>: Nuclear Physics Lab
>You need to put the name of your gateway in the 'get $remote' line.

I just FTP'D the slackware stuff a couple weeks ago so i'm very new
to Linux but one of the first things I did was get it to access my slip.
I had the very same problem and what I did was to put the address of my gateway
in the get $remote line also in the init file ( don't remember which one ).
In effect just ignoring the name. works fine.  I have not even changed it yet,
to many other things to set up to chase after something thats working even
with a kluge.

BTW if you dial your service provider with a regular comm program and
log in by hand you will see what is coming back.  Unless you know what is
happening you may have no hope of getting this to work for instance my
slip provider sends the string "USERNAME:" not Login: .
Hope this helps.

--- Darrell E. Berg ---

1. DIP: getting vars remote

Hi everyone--

        I am using DIP to connect to my SLIP provider, and they give me
the local and remote IP addresses both on the same line.  Is there any
way to get two variables off of one line of text?  the traditional
wait local; get $locip remote; wait remote; get $rmtip remote does not
seem to be working.  Is this a limitation of DIP or am I just doing it
wrong?  Thanks in advance...

--
                                                --Mart--

My opinions represent those of your employers, and their mothers.

2. Directory of MIS Executives

3. HELP: fetchmail gets stuck getting mail over PPP

4. Samba - login (rather simple problem)

5. DIP: get $remote... how when remote is dynamically assigned?

6. Newbie question: 'cin' input in debug (KDevelop)

7. get $remote remote in dip doesn't work

8. Getting Sound Card and Slackware.1.1.1 working

9. SSH Remote access Always getting: Disconnected; authentication error (No further authentication methods available).

10. Weird: getting frozen when logging remote!

11. Help getting remote access to local Xserver ????

12. Getting remote information

13. Q: Getting remote service port