Panasonic 563x CD-ROM won't mount

Post by Marc Bak » Mon, 23 Jan 1995 16:48:25

HELP!
        I can't get my Panasonic 563x CD-ROM to mount.  I've read the
README.sbpcd file and done done everything it tells me to, and it
doesn't seem to work.  I'm using the 1.1.79 kernel, recently ugraded from
1.1.59 (it didn't work there either).  Any help would be appreciated.

PS
  It's running off of a SoundBlaster sound card, and all came packed in
a Reveal kit.

Panasonic 563x CD-ROM won't mount

Post by Andrew Cromart » Wed, 25 Jan 1995 03:34:04

Quote:> Path:

internex.net!news.sprintlink.net!pipex!swrinde!gatech!swiss.ans.net!jabba.

> *netics.net!aptnet.*netics.net!marc

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help
> Subject: Panasonic 563x CD-ROM won't mount
> Date: 22 Jan 1995 07:48:25 GMT

> HELP!
>    I can't get my Panasonic 563x CD-ROM to mount.  I've read the
> README.sbpcd file and done done everything it tells me to, and it
> doesn't seem to work.  I'm using the 1.1.79 kernel, recently ugraded from
> 1.1.59 (it didn't work there either).  Any help would be appreciated.

> PS
>   It's running off of a SoundBlaster sound card, and all came packed in
> a Reveal kit.

We probably need more info than this to debug the problem.  E.g. what do
"doesn't seem to work" and "won't mount" mean?  Here are some possible
solutions:

- Do a lot of SBPCD messages print at boot time while linux tries try
    to identify the CD-ROM drive, but it's never found and announced as
    a CD-ROM drive?  If you don't see these messages, you don't have
    SBPCD configured into your kernel (I think it's CONFIG_SBPCD); you
    need to reconfigure and rebuild your kernel.  (Make sure you actually
    are running the new kernel after you compile it!  Often people build
    a new kernel but then fail to move it to / and install it using lilo.)
- Do the SBPCD boot messages print but the unit is never found?  If so,
    it could be an IRQ conflict, resolved in the usual was (try changing
device
    IRQs or removing devices to eliminate the IRQ conflict).  It also can
help
    to change sbpcd.h in the linux/include subdir of your kernel source tree
    to specify the I/O address at which your SBPCD is located (e.g. I think
    I have one at x0300, identified as a "Lasermate", on one PC).  This
    tells the driver where to look for the unit, avoid unnecessary probing
    into other devices' address spaces,. which can cause lockups during boot.
- Does Linux find the drive at boot time, but then you can't mount it using
   the "mount" command?  This suggests that either you're using the wrong
   argument to "mount" or that you don't have the right devices defined in
   /dev or a proper mount point to attach it to.  Take a look: you should find
   /dev/sbpcd and /dev/sbpcd0 in /dev, I believe, and you should have some
   defined mount point to mount the device to (say, /mnt/sbpcd -- ensure this
   exists).  Then your mount command (presumably also reflected in /etc/fstab)
   should be something like "mount /dev/sbpcd0  /mnt/sbpcd".

One warning: once you do get it working, the current driver has a tendency to
eject at shutdown time, i.e. the tray comes shooting out when you reboot.

       cheers                                asc

Panasonic 563x CD-ROM won't mount

Post by Pixelate » Wed, 25 Jan 1995 06:09:07

Quote:>One warning: once you do get it working, the current driver has a tendency to
>eject at shutdown time, i.e. the tray comes shooting out when you reboot.

Ahh, but you can fix this (I personally think the default should be *not*
to eject, but that's MHO) by changing
#define EJECT 1
#define EJECT 0         // or maybe the other way around :)
in ...linux/drivers/block/sbpcd.c

I got tired of having my CD eject every time I turned off the machine.  I'm
poor so I can't afford the energy required to leave my PC on for months
at a time. :(
--
Richard Cooley Extraordinaire           "Yeah.  Arrgh."

1. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

        Hi, I just bought the Linux from Nascent CD-ROM and have been attempting
to install it on my 486DX2/66 machine.  I have a cardex SVGA card using a
Cirrus chipset and 1 meg of video ram.  I have 16 megs of 60-ns memory.  I also
have a local bus IDE hard drive controller (32-bit) running two 340-meg
western digital hard drives.  Oh, the video is local bus, too.  I also have
an IOMEGA floptical drive, as well as the almost expected 3.5" and 5.25"
floppies.  I also have a Soundblaster 16 sound card that is driving my CD-drive,
the setup that comes together in a multimedia pack, I forget the exact name,
but it is a fairly standard one.  It is a Panasonic cd-drive by the way.
A panasonic 54- something I think.  When I boot and root my way into Linux,
It won't mount my cd-drive.  Since the program files are all on CD, that
means I can't install.  I followed the instructions for fixing this problemm
in the manual, i.e. "mknod /dev/sbpcd b 25 0"
                    "ln -fs /dev/sbpcd /dev/cdrom"
This looked fine, but when I rebooted, Linux still wouldn't mount my drive.
I even tried getting new root and boot images via anonymous FTP and rawrite.
No dice.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Van Camp

2. Has anyone hacked ftpd to keep a log of outgoing files?

3. Panasonic/Matshita CD-ROM won't mount...

4. scp problems

5. Help Can't mount Panasonic CD-Rom drive!

6. Patch ID's wanted...

7. Won't detect and mount CD-ROM (Yggdrasil, cd-dependent)

8. Problems with Logitech Mouse

10. Infomagic CD installation, panasonic CD-rom mount error

11. Cd-Rom recognized but won't mount

12. CD-ROM won't mount

13. CD-Rom won't mount?