DEATH TO Slackware 1.1.2!!!

Post by Jinwoo Sh » Sun, 13 Feb 1994 11:23:02

I know, I know. My bit over e*d but after 8 hours of trying to Slackware
1.1.2 installed ... I'm finally giving up. No matter what I do, I can't
get that setup program to work right. I followed install guide to the letter

1. get all the disks. (I got'em today. Friday around 3pm pst)
2. prepare all the disks.
3. boot, login as root and setup fdisk stuff.
4. Reboot after writing the partition table and run setup.
5. select source
6. select target
7. select package to be installed
8. select install
..
THEN BOOM!!!! message that says

rm: /tmp/hdset : File not founds (or something like that)
cat: /tmp/hdset : File .....

over and over.

sometimes, it says different messages all relating to
files not being found on /tmp directory or can't write mtab or can't do
something because there is no more space.

I'm going to redownload 1.1.1 and install that. That one atleast didn't
have problem like this.

DEATH TO Slackware 1.1.2!!!

Post by Clint Ols » Sun, 13 Feb 1994 17:25:36

>I know, I know. My bit over e*d but after 8 hours of trying to Slackware
>1.1.2 installed ... I'm finally giving up. No matter what I do, I can't
>get that setup program to work right. I followed install guide to the letter

>1. get all the disks. (I got'em today. Friday around 3pm pst)
>2. prepare all the disks.
>3. boot, login as root and setup fdisk stuff.
>4. Reboot after writing the partition table and run setup.
>5. select source
>6. select target
>7. select package to be installed
>8. select install
>..
>THEN BOOM!!!! message that says

>rm: /tmp/hdset : File not founds (or something like that)
>cat: /tmp/hdset : File .....

>over and over.

We had the same thing happen to us.  I did all the required
elements out of order, and then went to install and it barfed.

Finally I got pissed off and booted it again, this time letting
it lead me through the steps, and it installed just fine.

Did you happen to remember to format your install partitions
(you know, run ext2efs or whatever on your drive)?

-Clint
--
Clint Olsen
University of Washington

DEATH TO Slackware 1.1.2!!!

   Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help
   Date: 12 Feb 1994 02:23:02 GMT

[...]

I had the same problems with setup from 1.1.2. My solution was to use
bootdisks and setup from 1.1.1 distribution and then install a series
from 1.1.2 that way. So far everything looks fine.

Tom Goles

DEATH TO Slackware 1.1.2!!!

Post by Arnoud Marte » Tue, 15 Feb 1994 03:32:33

Jinwoo Shin writes in newsgroup comp.os.linux.help:

Quote:> I know, I know. My bit over e*d but after 8 hours of trying to Slackware
> 1.1.2 installed ... I'm finally giving up. No matter what I do, I can't
> get that setup program to work right. I followed install guide
to the letter

> 8. select install
> ..
> THEN BOOM!!!! message that says
> rm: /tmp/hdset : File not founds (or something like that)
> cat: /tmp/hdset : File .....
> over and over.
> sometimes, it says different messages all relating to
> files not being found on /tmp directory or can't write mtab or can't do
> something because there is no more space.

I had similar problems trying to install the d1 and e1 series
over my existing Linux system. Could not get setup to do it for
me. I suspect that Slackware is a bit to verbose writing various
tmp files on the mounted floppy since there is not much diskspace
left there. I have seen /tmp/reply coming by and also the error
about mtab. I also could not mount my native linux partitions
other than root. After several tries I gave up and installed
everyting by hand, the packages themselves work fine :).

Maybe it would be better if all these file were written to the
newly mounted Linux partition. Then you don't take the risk of
flooding the floppy.

A friend of mine also installed the complete series and he wsa
missing the /etc/passwd and group files. Very annoying if it is
your first install and you can't login after you plugged in 40
floppies.

Just my $0.02,
--
Arnoud Martens                  Delft, the Netherlands
                                +31(0)15-563621

DEATH TO Slackware 1.1.2!!!

Post by Mitchell Brands » Wed, 16 Feb 1994 01:46:18

>Jinwoo Shin writes in newsgroup comp.os.linux.help:

[...]

Quote:>> 8. select install
>> ..
>> THEN BOOM!!!! message that says
>> rm: /tmp/hdset : File not founds (or something like that)
>> cat: /tmp/hdset : File .....
>> over and over.

Yeah, I did that too.  The fault must have been yours and mine. :)

Quote:>> sometimes, it says different messages all relating to
>> files not being found on /tmp directory or can't write mtab or can't do
>> something because there is no more space.
>I had similar problems trying to install the d1 and e1 series
>over my existing Linux system. Could not get setup to do it for
>me. I suspect that Slackware is a bit to verbose writing various
>tmp files on the mounted floppy since there is not much diskspace
>left there. I have seen /tmp/reply coming by and also the error
>about mtab. I also could not mount my native linux partitions
>other than root. After several tries I gave up and installed
>everyting by hand, the packages themselves work fine :).

What I did here was make the swap manually, then rm /etc/mkswap, then
swapon'd the swap partitions and rm'd /bin/swapon and everything was
fine from then on.  Hmm.. maybe next time slackware can allocate an
extra 100k or so to the RAMdisk ?  Oh, I made sure to write protect
the root disk, even though I "knew" that it was safe anyway. :)

Quote:>Maybe it would be better if all these file were written to the
>newly mounted Linux partition. Then you don't take the risk of
>flooding the floppy.

This is probably an even better idea, but unless some side-stepping
is done, moving /etc/mtab elsewhere IMHO wouldn't be a good idea.

Quote:>Just my $0.02,

Just what I was thinking..

DEATH TO Slackware 1.1.2!!!

Post by Simon Heske » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 03:43:27

Hi,
        I've just installed Slackware 1.1.2
        Had problems with fstab and mtab not existing
        on the linux partitions after following the
        required steps. As a result when I boot I was
        left in single user mode and thats it. Checked
        /etc/fstab and it didn't exist.

        What I did then was use the boot/root disks
        typed 'setup' and entered 'setup target' section.
        Here it detected /dev/hdb1 as the linux partition
        and I confirmed this. It then reported dos partitions (
        2 of them) on /dev/hda and asked if I wanted to include them.
        THIS TIME I SAID YES! and then entered none
        of the drives to be included.

        Exiting at this stage and not earlier resulted
        in the fstab being written and all was dandy.

        Although this might not be the answer to your
        problem it's what I experienced and maybe it'll
        help someone else.

Simon.

--
*     _/_/_/                           +  Simon Hesketh.                      :

* _/_/_/  _/  _/      _/  _/_/_/   _/  +  King's College London               :
*                        _/            +  England.                            :