Modem in weird mode after using DIP

Post by David Redi » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 02:54:21

I am using Linux 1.0 (I just upgraded using the MCC release) and
DIP 3.3.7-lilo-3.2.  I have been able to get SLIP working but after
I use it once, my modem is in a weird state.  If I try to use DIP
a second time then when I do "port /dev/ttyS1" it hangs.  Ctl-C successfully
gets me out of DIP but I need to reboot before DIP can again get my ttyS1 port.
If I use kermit I have to Ctl-C but then I am in the "C-Kermit>" prompt
and then kermit works fine.

While poking around the kernel man-pages (Unix is not for the faint
of heart!) I found setserial (Is that right? I am sending from my
office so I don't have it here.) and there seemed to be something
about "sak" - requiring a ctl-break to get the serial port's attention.
I don't know if this is related or not.  I tried "setserial (or whatever
the command was) /dev/ttyS1 ^sak" which the man page said should change
that parameter to false but that didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated.

news group (though I did look through it for possible help and it was
tremendous help in getting SLIP working in the first place).
I will forward the summary to this newsgroup.

thanks
David Redish

1. set up uugetty, but dip leaves modem in 'weird' state.

I have been using my linux machine for a while using dip/slip
for outgoing. I recently decided to configure for incoming,
so I set up /etc/deafaults and /etc/gettydefs and /etc/inittab
to use uugetty to monitor the serial port for
incoming.

I have found that I can no longer dial in after finishing a
dip/slip session....the phone rings w/out the modem picking up.
If I kell the uugetty process and let it respawn (so then it reads
the defaults and gettydef file), I can dial in and it picks up.
Just running init q doesn't respawn the getty correctly (or so it
seems). It's like the dip/slip process is leaving the modem/serial
port in a weird state....like switching off the autoanswer.

Like I said, the only way for incoming calls after a dip/slip session
to get picked up is to kill the current getty....

Why is this?

marcus

2. Any idea what's happening here?

3. DIP: Why does "mode PPP" hang up my modem?

4. Multi homed Linux as router between MS domains

5. problems using terminal mode in DIP 3.3.4

6. Line Count of Source Files in a Package

7. HELP: modem hang up after typing 'mode PPP' in dip

8. Newbie question for Solaris root passwords.

9. PROBLEM: Modem hangsup when using dip/ppd when lagged

10. DIP: dip -k leaves modem in funny state?

11. Can't use my modem after using dip

12. Connection speed of modem using dip

13. ProbProblem with modem under linux using DIP