Install to existing DOS Part w/UMSDOS

Post by Fuzz » Thu, 21 Apr 1994 11:02:09

I would like to convert from ext2 to UMSDOS to be able to do a system
backup. I thought maybe I could install to my existing DOS part and then
build a kernel there. I have the UMSDOS slackware root/boot diskettes and
the slackware distribution diskettes for the system parts I need to
install. It very important not to messup the existing ext2 installation on
hda2/hdb1 drives/parts. DOS is backed up well so if it gets destroyed I
can rebuild it ok. A little confused as to how the boot would proceed tho.
how would bootstrap prgram know what OS files to load MSDOS's or Linux's
if they both share the partition?

What do I need to do, to set up the UMSDOS filesystem on an existing
DOS partition? Is it posissible to do it on the THE dos partiton
or is a secondary needed?

Thanks,
                            Fuzzy

Post by Jacques Gelin » Sat, 23 Apr 1994 23:35:00

>I would like to convert from ext2 to UMSDOS to be able to do a system
>backup. I thought maybe I could install to my existing DOS part and then
>build a kernel there. I have the UMSDOS slackware root/boot diskettes and
>the slackware distribution diskettes for the system parts I need to
>install. It very important not to messup the existing ext2 installation on
>hda2/hdb1 drives/parts. DOS is backed up well so if it gets destroyed I
>can rebuild it ok. A little confused as to how the boot would proceed tho.
>how would bootstrap prgram know what OS files to load MSDOS's or Linux's
>if they both share the partition?
>What do I need to do, to set up the UMSDOS filesystem on an existing
>DOS partition? Is it posissible to do it on the THE dos partiton
>or is a secondary needed?

All this is possible. linux does not use the same mecanism to boot
than DOS (or can use a different one). I strongly recommend the latest
lodlin1.3 (from sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/boot-linux I think).
This lets you boot linux from DOS, even at the command prompt

C:> loadlin zimage root=/dev/hda1

Currently loadlin can defeat most memory manager. The next release should
be able to defeat qemm also.

You can install umsdos on any DOS partition. I am not familiar with
Slackware however. All linux file are placed in a linux subdirectory.