TCP/IP sub-system going very slow?

Post by rgi.. » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 20:18:07

We have a Linux box which is responsible for all things Internet. It's main
job is to act as a news server, receiving a continous live feed from our
eviceprovider.

We have noticed that when news is coming in the whole TCP/IP sub-system slows
down rediculesly. Using 'top' you can see that the machine has some 9 meg. of
free memory (used as buffers) and has 80% idle time, but any net related
commandssuch as 'route' or 'netstat' will print a bit of their tables and
then freeze for 20 or so seconds and then continue. Remote telnet is the
same. Although the connectforms instantly, it takes a further 20 or so
seconds for the login prompt to appear(same for ftp). Our news feed is via a
64K link and so can't possibly be strainingthe network very much at all.

Any ideas?

I have the latest kenel (1.1.45), would the 'load balancing (experimental)'
helpat all? (it's switched off at the moment)

Thanks for any help/comments.

oh yes, the spec.

33Mhz 486. 16 Meg RAM, 17 Meg. swap partition
500 Meg. IDE drive mounted as root (ext2)
1 Gig. SCSI on Adaptec 1542 (ext2)- 512 meg. mounted as /var/spool/news, the
rest not used.Intel Ether express network
card.

Post by Alan C » Tue, 04 Oct 1994 23:14:14

>We have noticed that when news is coming in the whole TCP/IP sub-system slows
>down rediculesly. Using 'top' you can see that the machine has some 9 meg. of
>free memory (used as buffers) and has 80% idle time, but any net related
>commandssuch as 'route' or 'netstat' will print a bit of their tables and
>then freeze for 20 or so seconds and then continue. Remote telnet is the
>same. Although the connectforms instantly, it takes a further 20 or so
>seconds for the login prompt to appear(same for ftp). Our news feed is via a
>64K link and so can't possibly be strainingthe network very much at all.

>Any ideas?

This sounds quite normal. Your name service is slowing down a lot with the
huge backlog of network traffic down your 64K pipe. If you can make sure
your provider supports IP_TOS properly (ie priority ordered packet queues)
and get the newsfeed to run at the lowest priority it will help, as will
having your nameserver cache other sites.

Alan
--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

Post by Bart Kin » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 15:36:15

>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help

>Subject: TCP/IP sub-system going very slow?

>Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 11:18:07 GMT
>We have a Linux box which is responsible for all things Internet. It's main
>job is to act as a news server, receiving a continous live feed from our
>eviceprovider.
>We have noticed that when news is coming in the whole TCP/IP sub-system slows
>down rediculesly. Using 'top' you can see that the machine has some 9 meg. of
>free memory (used as buffers) and has 80% idle time, but any net related
>commandssuch as 'route' or 'netstat' will print a bit of their tables and
>then freeze for 20 or so seconds and then continue.

This is caused by the fact that it attemps to do a DNS lookup for every IP
connection. Use netstat -n instead. (Where is your Name Server..?)

Quote:>Remote telnet is the
>same. Although the connectforms instantly, it takes a further 20 or so
>seconds for the login prompt to appear(same for ftp). Our news feed is via a
>64K link and so can't possibly be strainingthe network very much at all.

There could be some other problems involved as well. Have a look at the Name
server setup anyway.

Bart.

Bart Kindt (ZL4FOX) System Operator, Efficient Software NZ LTD, Dunedin, New Zealand

1. Sub-sub-sub-sub-sub subdomains?

No, it's not a typo.

My question is quite simple: I've read on how to set up subdomains on
apache using the wildcard mask, but what about subdomains several
levels deep?

Do I need to create one DNS entry for every "subdomain level" so to
speak?.

Lets say I currently have... whatever... "cool.com" (then I'd sell it
;-). No I mean... lets pretend I have something like "cool.com". With
"traditional" apache wildcard subdomains setup and the right entries
on bind, I can have "anything.cool.com" "a.cool.com" "b.cool.com", etc
all pointing to the same web page.

But what if I want to do a hostname in the form
"http://This.bind.is.really.cool.com"? That's 4 levels of
subdomains.

Can someone explain me how to setup something like this, both form the
apache and bind sides??

Regards
Willy
PS: I'm posting this same question to the bind newsgroup since this
involves setting up correctly both daemons.

2. Hotplug CPU prep V: x86 non-linear CPU numbers

3. Slow/aborting TCP/IP over slow (e.g. 33K6) links with Solaris 2.6

4. Printer works, but...

5. TCP/IP: Slow packets every so often, even with the TCP patch.

6. V880 liquidation

7. Sub-system problem

8. ftape assist..

9. Oracle 8.0.5, aix 4.3.2 & VSS Raid Sub-System

10. AIX sub-system refresh problem

11. Looking for Raid Sub-System

12. Problem with SCO sub-system login

13. IPC Shared Memory sub-system on IBM AIX 3.1.5