Need suggestions of running Linux and X on 90Mhz Pentium

Need suggestions of running Linux and X on 90Mhz Pentium

Post by Pak-Yin T » Sat, 21 May 1994 06:05:50

Howdy!

I'm in a market of buying a Pentium 90Mhz machine and Linux would be
my major application platform. I would have about $5000 to spend...
(Well, it's my boss's money... 8^)).

Below would be my proposed configuration:

Pentium 90Mhz CPU
256K cache
32M RAM
1G SCSI 2 HD
PCI SCSI controller
17" color monitor (1280x1024)
PCI Graphics
Double speed CD ROM drive

My questions would be:

1. What's the best graphics card so that I can run X-Windows (Xfree86?)
   under Linux? I know that Diamond's cards are fast, but they are buggy
   in running X in Linux.

2. What sort of SCSI 2 controller of supported by Linux? I suspect
   those made by Adaptec would be O.K.??? Same question for CD ROM.

3. What would be a reliable vendor? I'm thinking of DELL or Micron.

4. Which distribution of Linux should I get? I'm thinking of buying a
   CD ROM distribution... Downloading tonnes of FD is kind of time-wasting.

5. Is there any problems running Linux under a 90Mhz Pentium?

I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions.

Thanks.

Fred

1. Need suggestions on running Linux and X on a 90Mhz Pentium

[...]

2. Easy question from non-unix person

3. Does Linux work on any 90MhZ Pentium?

4. Meaning of word ,,hacker''

5. Linux on Gateway 2000 Pentium 90MHz

6. pppd/chat modem initialization strings

7. Ethernet setup on Pentium 90MHz

8. FTP servers?

9. SUCCESS: Pentium 90MHz, Slackware

10. Low BogoMips on Pentium 90MHz

11. 1.2.8 and Intel ZP triton 90mhz pentium

12. Micronics 90MHz PCI Pentium

13. Overclocking Pentium 90mhz to 100mhz - any flakiness ?