I'm in a market of buying a Pentium 90Mhz machine and Linux would be
my major application platform. I would have about $5000 to spend...
(Well, it's my boss's money... 8^)).
Below would be my proposed configuration:
Pentium 90Mhz CPU
1G SCSI 2 HD
PCI SCSI controller
17" color monitor (1280x1024)
Double speed CD ROM drive
My questions would be:
1. What's the best graphics card so that I can run X-Windows (Xfree86?)
under Linux? I know that Diamond's cards are fast, but they are buggy
in running X in Linux.
2. What sort of SCSI 2 controller of supported by Linux? I suspect
those made by Adaptec would be O.K.??? Same question for CD ROM.
3. What would be a reliable vendor? I'm thinking of DELL or Micron.
4. Which distribution of Linux should I get? I'm thinking of buying a
CD ROM distribution... Downloading tonnes of FD is kind of time-wasting.
5. Is there any problems running Linux under a 90Mhz Pentium?
I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions.