viewing user/password directory

Post by nkeepe » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:53:55

We are running a small ISP in the midwest on a linux server (Redhat 6.1). We
would like to view and possibly print out a list of users and their
passwords. We can view each user/password individually and can view the
directory that list all users but can't figure out how to make that
directory also show passwords. Is this possible.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

viewing user/password directory

Post by Ryan Twome » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 12:55:13

It would be great if you could give us a little more information (i.e.,
are the passwords stored in files, named according to the login name,
located in this directory you mentioned?).  If that is indeed the case,
then you could run 'cat ./*'

Please give more information if this doesn't solve the problem.
-Ryan

Post by Herb Stei » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 07:55:56

> It would be great if you could give us a little more information (i.e.,
> are the passwords stored in files, named according to the login name,
> located in this directory you mentioned?).  If that is indeed the case,
> then you could run 'cat ./*'

> Please give more information if this doesn't solve the problem.
> -Ryan

> > We are running a small ISP in the midwest on a linux server (Redhat
> > 6.1). We would like to view and possibly print out a list of users and
> > their passwords. We can view each user/password individually and can
> > view the directory that list all users but can't figure out how to make
> > that directory also show passwords. Is this possible.

> > Thanks for your help.

> > Richard

For what reason would you want to view the passwords? My
ISP NEVER has access to that information. Just curious.

--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group

314 952-4601

viewing user/password directory

Post by Nightmar » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 16:34:30

The never have access to your account password?  I work for an ISP in the
south, and we have accounting software that we can view/change passwords
with....

> > It would be great if you could give us a little more information (i.e.,
> > are the passwords stored in files, named according to the login name,
> > located in this directory you mentioned?).  If that is indeed the case,
> > then you could run 'cat ./*'

> > Please give more information if this doesn't solve the problem.
> > -Ryan

> > > We are running a small ISP in the midwest on a linux server (Redhat
> > > 6.1). We would like to view and possibly print out a list of users and
> > > their passwords. We can view each user/password individually and can
> > > view the directory that list all users but can't figure out how to
make
> > > that directory also show passwords. Is this possible.

> > > Thanks for your help.

> > > Richard

> For what reason would you want to view the passwords? My
> ISP NEVER has access to that information. Just curious.

> --
> Herb Stein
> The Herb Stein Group
> www.herbstein.com

> 314 952-4601

viewing user/password directory

Post by Herb Stei » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:18:07

They probably save it outside of the OS. Maybe when you set up
the account, they save the password you gave them. The ISP
doesn't ever need it and no one else should have a way to get it.
If a user forgets their password, just change it to another one. The
ISP doesn't need the old one to do that.

There is a major security issue here. If the bad guy can convince
my ISP that he is me, he gets my password and I have no clue
until too late. If the bad guy can convince my ISP that he is me
and they change the password, at least I'd know that something
is amiss the next time I logged in. The drones on the other end
of the phone are paid to give you whatever it takes to let them
move on to the next call. Security is not their main concern.

--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group

314 952-4601

1. viewing user/password directory

We are running a small ISP in the midwest on a linux server (Redhat 6.1). We
would like to view and possibly print out a list of users and their
passwords. We can view each user/password individually and can view the
directory that list all users but can't figure out how to make that
directory also show passwords. Is this possible.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

2. Help with term, please!

3. xmms auto-starting & hogging sound card: why?

4. restrict view of user ftp directories

5. error seeking in /dev/kmem

6. restrict ftp user to home directory but view contents

7. ListProc 6.0c & NetBSD 1.1/sparc

8. cant view a users public_html directory

9. Can view contents of directory, but cannot change into directory /& SATA support

10. Alternate password file for user directories

11. Password-protecting a directory with no user name required.

12. Password-protecting users ~directory