SuSE Linux 7.3 will not power off at shutdown

SuSE Linux 7.3 will not power off at shutdown

Post by Mike Davi » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:09:37

After selecting Shutdown a number of messages appear
on the console, the last of which are:

Unmounting file systems
shmfs unmounted
/dev/hda6 unmounted
/dev/hda2 unmounted
devpts unmounted
/dev/hda7 unmounted
proc unmounted
The system will be halted immediately.

The system then appears to hang, rather than powering
off, which is what I would have expected.

In fact, the power switch on the PC no longer
functions normally and the only way I can power the
system off is to hold down the power switch for 4
seconds.

If I boot with the Safe Linux option, the PC does indeed power off after shutdown.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Post by SoCalledPr » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:18:07

> The system then appears to hang, rather than powering
> off, which is what I would have expected.

> In fact, the power switch on the PC no longer
> functions normally and the only way I can power the
> system off is to hold down the power switch for 4
> seconds.

> If I boot with the Safe Linux option, the PC does indeed power off after shutdown.

> Any ideas?

> Thanks,

> Mike

which command are you using?

try using "shutdown -r now" to see whether it behaves the same if you
tell it to restart.

1. Shutdown won't Power-off using SuSE-6.1

When I used RedHat 6.0 and everytime I issue a shutdown command from the KDE
logon icon, my computer would be brought down to halt with the power off
within 5 seconds.  I replaced my RedHat-6.0 package with SuSE-6.1 and the
shutdown process will not power off the computer except just halted the
computer and switch the Master Resource Control to runlevel 0.

Has anyone ever noticed the weird behaviour on his/her Linux using SuSE-6.1
distro?

--

2. jdk 1.4.0 (native) and font problem.

3. setting a terminal as system console

4. RH 7.2 Power Management, power-off on shutdown?

5. ATI 3D Rage LT Pro & xfree86 4.01 problem

6. shutdown does not power off

7. Linux install from Hard Drive corrupted my DOS partition

8. Nvidia Geforce 2 mx200 on Suse 7.3 crash during system shutdown

9. shutdown does not turn power off to the machine?

10. Power-off after shutdown under Linux

11. linux sometimes DOES and sometimes DOESN'T power off on shutdown

12. automatic power off after shutdown with linux ?