xman troubles with the man-pages update from the LDP

xman troubles with the man-pages update from the LDP

Post by Joshua R. Pouls » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 03:10:54

Hello!

I recently (like yesterday) installed the man-pages update from the
great folks at the Linux Documentation Project and when I use xman to
view one of these new pages I get the message "Please wait...
formatting man page" (or something like that) and I get an error "tbl:
command not found" and I don't get a manual page.

Is there some package I'm missing?

I'm using SLS 1.03 on a Compaq Prolinea 4/66 with 8mb of memory and
16mb of swap space.

No flames about using SLS, please.

Thanks! --JRP

xman troubles with the man-pages update from the LDP

Post by Monkey Ki » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 03:40:29

First of all,  many thanks to those who answered my questions thru mail
about kermit and key swapping problems.  All have been worked out.

Now the problem.  I mounted the MSDOS partition /dev/hda1 at boot time,
with the following line in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1   /dos    msdos   defaults

It mounted without a problem.  However, I only have write access to it as
root.  As a user, if I do 'cd /dos', and 'cat autoexec.bat > junk', it
gives

junk: Permission denied.

I tried to change file permission of /dos as root, but can't change
anything.  I tried 'chmod go+w dos', and in /dos, 'chmod go+w *', but
'ls -l' still gives only 'r-x' rights to 'go'.

What to do?

--
Monkey King                 | This message printed on

Post by Charles Hawki » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 19:16:41

|> Hello!
|>
|> I recently (like yesterday) installed the man-pages update from the
|> great folks at the Linux Documentation Project and when I use xman to
|> view one of these new pages I get the message "Please wait...
|> formatting man page" (or something like that) and I get an error "tbl:
|> command not found" and I don't get a manual page.
|>
|> Is there some package I'm missing?

You need the groff package in which you will find gtbl (GNU tbl). Once the
groff package is installed create a link (or symlink) from gtbl to tbl and
all should be well!

Charles Hawkins

--
+--------------------------------+   +-----------------------------------+
+     Cambridge University       +   + Telephone : (44) 223 332765       +

+        Cambridge CB2 1PZ       +   +                                   +
+--------------------------------+   +-----------------------------------+

Post by Norbert J. Girar » Sat, 16 Oct 1993 06:01:18

: Hello!

: I recently (like yesterday) installed the man-pages update from the
: great folks at the Linux Documentation Project and when I use xman to
: view one of these new pages I get the message "Please wait...
: formatting man page" (or something like that) and I get an error "tbl:
: command not found" and I don't get a manual page.

: Is there some package I'm missing?

No, doing a:
        ln -s /usr/bin/gtbl /usr/bin/tbl
will solve your problem.

SLS comes with GNU's gtbl.

: I'm using SLS 1.03 on a Compaq Prolinea 4/66 with 8mb of memory and
: 16mb of swap space.

: No flames about using SLS, please.
No way, since I'm using it, too. But I'll convert to yggdrasil when
the CD arrives.

- Norbert

--
SSSSSS            SQUAREDANCE is FRIENDSHIP set to MUSIC.

SSSQSS  Q       Voice: +49 621 493417 (h) +49 621 381-3260 (w)
   QQQQQQ  If you know how to REPAIR YOUR SQUARE :-) drop me a line

1. Xman and preformatted man pages

How does the saving of formatted man pages work with xman?

What I would like to do is have all of my man pages preformatted
and then delete all of the unformatted pages.  However, I can't
figure out how xman handles the preformatted pages so that I can
use just them and delete all of the unformatted pages.

If I put the preformatted page in a cat directory and leave the
unformatted page in the man directory, xman correctly goes to the
pre-formatted page and displays it.  This works fine, but I don't
want to keep the voluminous unformatted copies of the man pages
around.

However, if I put a preformatted page in a cat directory, and
then delete the unformatted one from the corresponding man
directory, xman can't find the preformatted page.

Finally, if I put the formatted man page in the man directory in
place of the unformatted page, xman can find the page, but it
runs nroff anyway before displaying the man page.

Ideas?

        Thanks,
        Ev

2. APACHE: Can't Use OnDeny? How?

3. How about something more than Xman/regular man pages

4. Mandrake: Software updates

5. How to add man page for xman?

6. Netmouse and Netmouse pro

7. xman and finding all the man pages

8. Asus V3000

9. More than Xman/regular man pages

10. man pages for xman -- where?

11. How about something more than Xman/regular man pages

12. Printing man or xman pages

13. How about something more than Xman/regular man pages