SIOCSIFNETMASK: Invalid argument ??? what does it mean?

SIOCSIFNETMASK: Invalid argument ??? what does it mean?

Post by William Seppel » Sun, 07 Nov 1993 04:26:23

I've been trying to set up an ethernet connection on my laptop with no
success, but I think I'm close.  I have a Zenith ZNote laptop with an
internal ethernet port.  I've been told that the ethernet port bears
some resemblance to a gerneric NE2000 (please correct me if I'm
wrong).  I've also looked at some assembly code for the DOS packet
driver (filename: znote.asm), and I see a reference to a 8390 chipset.
Don't let me fool you.  I have no idea what half this stuff means.

Anyway, I've recompiled the kernel in the usual way, and I set up my
rc.net file in the /etc directory.  When I run the /etc/rc.net script,
I get the following errors:

        SIOCSIFNETMASK: Invalid argument
        SIOSCIFADDR: Invalid argument
        SIOCGIFFLAGS: Invalid argument
        SIOSCIFFLAGS: Invalid argument
        SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
        SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
        SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

What could be the source of my problem?  Here is basically what my
rc.net file contains:

        /usr/etc/ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.0 $HOSTNAME

I would give more, but I don't even get past this command before I get
my errors.  Could the problem be that Linux doesn't reconize my
ethernet port?  How could I determine this?  Any help at all is most
welcome.

thanks,

bill

Post by Donald J. Beck » Mon, 08 Nov 1993 14:23:21

>I've been trying to set up an ethernet connection on my laptop with no
>success, but I think I'm close.  I have a Zenith ZNote laptop with an
>internal ethernet port.  I've been told that the ethernet port bears
>some resemblance to a gerneric NE2000 (please correct me if I'm

Some resemblance?  Well, it connects an ethernet cable to a computer, but
that's pretty much the only similarity.  The NE2000 uses NatSemi 8390 chip,
and it's private packet buffer is accessed with programmed I/O.  The Z-Note
uses an Intel i82593 hooked up to two (yes, two) slave DMA channels.

There is a chance I'll get a Z-Note driver working in a few months, assuming I
can line up some Z-Note debugging time.

--

IDA Supercomputing Research Center
17100 Science Drive, Bowie MD 20715                        301-805-7482

1. Error on Boot - SIOCSIFNETMASK: Invalid argument?

The messages I am receiving at boot are:
SIOCSIFNETMASK:  Invalid argument
route:  bogus NETMASK 255.255.255.190

This is my correct network submask, so what is wrong?  I guess I really
don't understand the boot/network setup process in Linux (doh).

I have been trying unsuccessfullly for days to get the networking up and
running.  I am using RH5.1 dist. with a 3c590 card.  Everything seems to be
set up properly (in my limited experience).  What does this message mean and
how should I fix it?

Thanx for your help.

Tim

2. Linux - WinME...

3. socket: Invalid argument <-- What does this mean?

4. Sylpheed as Netscape's default email

5. What does "SIOCADDRT: Invalid Argument" mean?

6. stange ISDN error

7. What does this mean: SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

8. Happy New Year

9. gpm & x mouse errors.....Invalid argument?

10. Invalid Argument during Select Partition screen

11. fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)

12. mount failed: invalid argument

13. invalid argument (swapon)??