xmosaic system requirements help

Post by William M. Per » Mon, 01 Nov 1993 00:44:48

>>xmosaic looks interesting, but the README file at sunsite does not indicate
>>what the system requirements are.  I have internet access available via a
>>serial kermit connection to a LAN.

>>Will xmosaic work over a serial connection to internet ?  My setup is as
>>follows:

>>Linux Box <--- TRW NIU --->Broadband LAN<--->UNIX HOST<---->INTERNET

>I use the pre-compiled, static library (:-<) 'term' version of xmosaic from
>home, and I'm very happy with its performance.  It should work fine once you
>have 'term' working for other things.

>A few notes:
>Use a 14.4k modem and tune your 'term' parameters for it.  I use
>compress off
>baudrate 19200
>noise on
>window 5

>It crashes when the link is a FTP 'file' link.  Since it's not
>possible for the user to tell what kind of link it is, this is difficult
>to avoid.

>Mosaic doesn't multitask.  Avoid downloading sound files and images
>unless you aren't busy.  I usually get the daily 'Doctor Fun' anyway.

    Has anyone compiled one of the pre-releases of Xmosaic for linux +
term?  The latest prereleases are very stable, and have some great new
features, like fill-out forms, HTML+ support, etc.

    Also, if anyone doesn't think they have the resources for xmosaic,
you might want to try out lynx, a curses based browser.  The latest
pre-release has forms support (very shaky from what I've seen, but
usable).  It's available from ftp2.cc.ukans.edu:/pub/WWW/lynx

    And, if you are an emacs freak like myself, you might want to use
the WWW client I wrote in emacs.  Its available from
cs.indiana.edu:/pub/elisp/w3.  Supports lucid/epoch/emacs18/emacs19 -
mouse support and fonts in the versions that support it, plus graphics
support in epoch (nothing like checking out the vatican exhibit's GIFs
and xbitmaps within an emacs buffer - very bizarre :).  My version can
use a program like termtelnet in a subprocess, plus I am about to
release patches to the main emacs 19 distribution to use TERM in
emacs' open-network-stream primitive.  I'll post to c.o.l.a when I do.
After that, you can just change src/s/linux.h to #define TERM and
it'll work without a hitch. :)

-Bill Perry

xmosaic system requirements help

Post by Scott A. Lai » Mon, 01 Nov 1993 01:59:18

I've compiled 2.0pre6, and it seems to work (well, it hang once using
FTP, but I suspect that was a kernel bug with 0.99pl13m, since I've
been having problems with telnet, too.)  Looks nice.  Unfortunately,
I'm using term, so it's not really useful.  It looks much cleaner than
1.2, so it should be _much_ easier to add term support.  I'll try to
do it before they release 2.0, but I really can't promise anything.

If anyone really needs a binary (remember, it's pre-release, and has several
known bugs) mail me.

Scott.

--
Scott A. Laird            |  "But this goes to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615"

xmosaic system requirements help

Post by Piercarlo Gran » Wed, 03 Nov 1993 00:43:31

>>> A. Laird) said:

Scott> I've compiled 2.0pre6, and it seems to work (well, it hang once
Scott> using FTP, but I suspect that was a kernel bug with 0.99pl13m,
Scott> since I've been having problems with telnet, too.)

Linus said so:

Linus> The latest ALPHA, btw, is ALPHA-pl13p.tar.gz, and should have the
Linus> memory management changes finally stable.  Don't use the m-o
Linus> releases, as they have known bugs.  The alpha-releases can be
Linus> found (as always) on nic.funet.fi in the directory
Linus> pub/OS/Linux/PEOPLE/Linus.