Setting up SLIP with Linux (problems with route command)

Setting up SLIP with Linux (problems with route command)

Post by Gil Kra » Fri, 15 Jul 1994 08:00:49

I am using dip version 3.2.0 to call the Computer Science at the
University of Florida.  I log in without a problem, type SLIP to
get into SLIP mode, then tell my dip software my IP address and
the remote IP address.  It then dumps me to Linux, where I type:

ifconfig sl0 broadcast 128.227.224.255 netmask 255.255.255.0

This command works fine.

Then I type:

route add default gw 128.227.224.1

And Linux tells me "network is unreachable".

Thanks in advance,

Gil Kraus
University of Florida
Department of Computer & Information Sciences