Help Installing Slackware

Post by Kevin William Hagga » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 17:03:18

I am new to this so please bear with me.

I have obtained almost everything I need to run Slackware linux and need
some questions answered.

1.  I am going to use the UMSDS file system(just to check everything out).
According to the Instructions, I need the files from the /u1 directory.
My Problem: I CAN'T FIND this directory.

2.  I made the boot and root disks, but when I try to boot with the boot
disk, my floppy reads for a second, then stops cold.  Nothing else happens.
I have the CMOS set up for A: before C:, but it doesn't work.
I have also noticed I can't boot earlier versions of MSDOS(I think).

Any help appreciated.  I've put too much work into this to quit now.

STATS:
486 DX2-66
Genoa motherboard with local bus
Genoa local bus video and IDE, 8600 VLIO
WD 420meg HD
MSDOS 6.20

HELP!!!!!
Spanky the WonderMut

Help Installing Slackware

Post by Brooke Pa » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 20:10:29

Quote:

>1.  I am going to use the UMSDS file system(just to check everything out).
>According to the Instructions, I need the files from the /u1 directory.
>My Problem: I CAN'T FIND this directory.

        try ftp.cdrom.com /pub/linux/slackware/slakware/u1
Quote:

>2.  I made the boot and root disks, but when I try to boot with the boot
>disk, my floppy reads for a second, then stops cold.  Nothing else happens.
>I have the CMOS set up for A: before C:, but it doesn't work.
>I have also noticed I can't boot earlier versions of MSDOS(I think).

        Did you use RAWRITE.EXE to create the bootdisk?  Don't really
know why this may be happening.  Also, once you get the boot disk to boot
your system, be sure to wait until it asks for your second disk before
switching.  When the boot disk works it will give you a prompt that you
should be able to just hit enter at.  It will work a little longer and
then ask for the second disk.

Quote:

>HELP!!!!!
>Spanky the WonderMut

-----------------------------------------------------------------\

Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology |         .bio |
UCI-Dept. of Psychobiology                        |         .uci |
Irvine, Ca.  92717-4330                           |         .edu |
-----------------------------------------------------------------/

1. Newbie needs help installing Slackware 3.4

My computer:
IBM PS/2 56 486SLC2 50Mhz
Microchannel Bus
IBM SCSI on-board adapter - Conner 212 MB SCSI HDD
8 MB's RAM (Two 4 meg simms)

I managed to install debain 1.3, but I really want to get slackware 3.4
on it.  I d/l'd the bootdisk "ibmmca.s" and the rootdisk "color.gz".  I
also d/l'd the A, AP, and N series of disks.  I boot off the image of
"ibmmca.s" and it seems to be working ok but it does not detect my hdd.
It asks for the root disk, which I give it, but then it just tells me
that I need to have a linux partition to continue with setup.  The thing
is, due to debian, i DO have a linux partition, just it can't find the
physical drive.  When I loaded debian I had to use the boot prompt
command "linux ibmmcascsi=7" to make it load, but when I tried that with
slackware it didn't like it.  I'm thinking that I should get the dev
file for my drive out of it and put it in the root disk image, then I
can mount it, but I don't know how to get into the image from
windoze95.  (It is a gz file that contains no distinguishable files)

Thanks,
Chris
--
Edward Christopher Kern

ICQ# 9984441

2. linux routing to windows server

3. Need help installing Slackware from Dos Hard Disk

4. Solaris 7 x86 crashing

5. Help Installing Slackware 3.0

6. DBL for SCO unix

7. Need help installing slackware w/ low memory

8. 2.4.21-pre on SMP-HT exports bad AT_PLATFORM

9. help installing slackware linux

10. help installing slackware 3.4

11. Need help installing Slackware from PP Zip drive

12. help installing Slackware 2.1

13. Help Installing Slackware