Setting your return path using mh/Xmh ???

Setting your return path using mh/Xmh ???

Post by Frank Emanue » Tue, 19 Jul 1994 21:55:10

I need some simple questions answered regarding mh/Xmh.  I am
currently using Xmh for my mail duties over a temporary slip
connection. The problem is I need to alter my return-path
(currently pointed at my PC) to my permanent account at my
University. Hopefully when people automatically reply to my mail
it will be sent to my university account's address. I also need
to incorporate my .signature automatically when composing a
message in Xmh. Are there appropiate variables for .mh_profile ?

Thanks in advance !

   Frank Emanuele                       Deakin University,

1. xmh-pop-1.0b - mh/xmh with POP/Unix auth. support

--

xmh-pop-1.0b (beta release) is available in ftp://ftp.ceram.fr/system/mail

#### INTRODUCTION

  This package will allow xmh to properly interact with the MH
package when MH has been compiled with POP / UNIX authentication
support. The added functionalities are:

- the ability to prompt the user for a password
- the ability to detect if a forked mh command requires a passwd (as
inc and msgchk do), and to feed the command with the password

#### WHAT ELSE'S NEEDED

- MH-6.8.3 source tree:
  minor changes to the MH package are unfortunately required. See
  README.MH for details.
  The patch is included in this distribution, see instructions below.

  Once the patch has been applied, the MH package must be recompiled
  with POP support, and UNIX authentication; refer to the MH
  documentation for more instructions.

- You will have to patch and recompile xmh. See the file README.XMH
  for a description of the changes to xmh.

mh-6.8.3, popper-1.831, xmh-mitR5, and xmh-pop are available via
anonymous ftp on ftp.ceram.fr in the directory /system/mail:

  ftp://ftp.ceram.fr/system/mail

#### SECURITY

-  The approach used implies storing a x-ored clear text password in
  the memory space of a running program (xmh) for the lifetime of the
  program. If you are unsure about the risks this implies, you probably
  shouldn't use this patch.

-  The patches to MH will generate programs (e.g. inc & msgchk) that
  read passwords from their standard  input. This will allow a silly
  user to store a clear text password in a file or a script so as to
  feed it automatically to the mh programs.

- xmh will feed external programs (e.g. inc) with clear-text
  passwords: better make sure these programs aren't trojan horses. As
  a consequence the way xmh looks for mh binaries has been modified,
  see README.XMH

#### KNOWN PROBLEMS

- We got many many deadlocks with the select in xmh/command.c, which
  never returned even though the MH command did write on stderr. The
  problem disapeared after we replaced vfork by fork in command.c, but
  we are unsure if this was really causing the problem.. there may be
  a bug laying around there

The program succesfully compiled and is being tested for the following
configs:

SunOS 4.1.3_U1 1 / Sun cc -O
SunOS 4.1.3_U1 1 / gcc-2.4.5 -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return
HP-UX A.09.05    / HP cc +O1 -Aa +DA1.0
HP-UX A.09.05    / gcc-2.4.5 -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return -O -ansi

  Comments appreciated.

        Frank Mangin                            Tel: (33) 93 65 78 57

2. Apache - resource temporarily unavailable

3. Help with XMH and MH (was: Re: MH for Linux, *please*!

4. Ultra dma and Linux Slackware 2.0.18

5. MH/xmh/exmh or other full featured mail reader.

6. Dumb USB Serial Question

7. xmh... where is MH???

8. 2Mx32 60ns $34.00

9. xmh and mh for Linux

10. set path = "$path" hoses path in tcsh -- why???

11. Setting the Return-Path email field

12. Web apps using apache show as return-path nobody/localhost-need real domain

13. How to set from/return-path in Sendmail headers?