Tape Backup used for Linux and Dos (SCSI) ?

Tape Backup used for Linux and Dos (SCSI) ?

Post by John Jamul » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 06:59:48

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would recommend a Tape backup solution I
could use for both Linux and Dos?

I'd prefer the cheapest solution, but a SCSI solution would be good
for future expansion.

I could eassily get a SCSI card and a recommended TApe from the
Hardware FAQ, but I don't know about DOS and LINUX support for
any of those, or any others?

Please reply with any ideas and/or comments.

Is anyone doing this now? I'd be VERY interested in knowing.

I currently have ESDI hard drives and standard 5-1/2 3-1/4 floppies.

Thanks,
John Jamulla

PROFS:JJAMULLA   PRIMEMAIL:JAMULLA -ON D1D1  Work:(313)337-9951
Ford Motor Co.- Car Prod. Devel., P&MS, CAD/CAM Dept., Dearborn, MI 48121

Post by Mario Nascimen » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 07:51:25

>I was wondering if anyone would recommend a Tape backup solution I
>could use for both Linux and Dos?
>I'd prefer the cheapest solution, but a SCSI solution would be good
>for future expansion.

TO JAMULLA: you could take a look into the ftape driver, for QIC117
tape drives (those that run out of the floppy controller). You might
get some compatability info in the README (I guess, or I can send it
to you).

        BUT ...

As we're talking about it I have a similar question: Would an Adaptec 1540
SCSI controller work with a Tandberg 150 Megs SCSI tape drive under LINUX
(of course ;-) ? I've seen the HARDWARE-HOWTO, neither of them are listed
there, BUT as it can be because whoever has it never noticed that it is not
in the HOWTO I decided to ask, or they really don't work at all 8-(

I also got the FAQ for the comp.periphs.scsi and they don't mention the 1540
explicitly only the 1542, is it so old and not usable ?

Any help is appreciated ...

Mario

  | | MARIO Nascimento |        Postal Mail:    SMU Box 752165             |
  | +------------------+                        Dallas, TX 75275-2165  USA |
  Those who can, do. Those who can teach, teach. The rest fake one of these.

Post by Bill Bogst » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 13:56:52

>As we're talking about it I have a similar question: Would an Adaptec 1540
>SCSI controller work with a Tandberg 150 Megs SCSI tape drive under LINUX
>(of course ;-) ? I've seen the HARDWARE-HOWTO, neither of them are listed
>there, BUT as it can be because whoever has it never noticed that it is not
>in the HOWTO I decided to ask, or they really don't work at all 8-(

        My understanding is that the 1540 series is basically the 1542 minus
the floppy controller.  At least, that is what my 1540B appears to be and
its has had no problems driving an Archive 2150S SCSI tape drive.
If you really have a 1540 (no B), I suppose it might be really old
and unusable; but I don't really know.  I hope this helps.

                                Bill Bogstad

Tape Backup used for Linux and Dos (SCSI) ?

Post by Michael E. Deish » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 23:02:40

[...]

Quote:> As we're talking about it I have a similar question: Would an Adaptec 1540
> SCSI controller work with a Tandberg 150 Megs SCSI tape drive under LINUX
> (of course ;-) ? I've seen the HARDWARE-HOWTO, neither of them are listed
> there, BUT as it can be because whoever has it never noticed that it is not
> in the HOWTO I decided to ask, or they really don't work at all 8-(

I have been using a Tanberg 3600 with an Adaptec 1540B under Linux for
several months now.  The combination works well for me.  You just
have to create the appropriate device files (/dev/rst0, /dev/nrst0,
etc) if they don't already exist.  Also, make sure your kernel was
compiled with SCSI support and the Adaptec 154x drivers.  You can use
tar for backups.

--Mike

  |  Mike Deisher                                  Arizona State University  |

  |  voice:  (602) 965-0396                    Signal Processing Laboratory  |
  |  fax:    (602) 965-8325                           Tempe, AZ  85287-7206  |

Post by lih-sin t » Sat, 08 Jan 1994 02:01:48

>>As we're talking about it I have a similar question: Would an Adaptec 1540
>>SCSI controller work with a Tandberg 150 Megs SCSI tape drive under LINUX
>>(of course ;-) ? I've seen the HARDWARE-HOWTO, neither of them are listed
>>there, BUT as it can be because whoever has it never noticed that it is not
>>in the HOWTO I decided to ask, or they really don't work at all 8-(
>    My understanding is that the 1540 series is basically the 1542 minus
>the floppy controller.  At least, that is what my 1540B appears to be and
>its has had no problems driving an Archive 2150S SCSI tape drive.
>If you really have a 1540 (no B), I suppose it might be really old
>and unusable; but I don't really know.  I hope this helps.

   I have Tandberg TDC 3600 with record format QIC-150 (DC6250 or DC6150
tape) and Adaptec 1540B. I can backup and save files with this setup in
OS/2, but I have not tried it many times enough to tell about how it
work in linux, I only have one experience that in running Linux I can
restore a couple backup files that I did in OS/2 gtak(tar). I believe
Tandberg TDC 3600 will work fine with adaptec 1540B in linux.

  lihsin

Post by d.. » Sat, 08 Jan 1994 04:54:35

: I also got the FAQ for the comp.periphs.scsi and they don't mention the 1540
: explicitly only the 1542, is it so old and not usable ?

The 1542B is a later version with floppy drive support. I haven't used the
1540 but my guess is that it'll work fine.

--

Post by Kevin Flu » Sat, 08 Jan 1994 23:56:39

>>I was wondering if anyone would recommend a Tape backup solution I
>>could use for both Linux and Dos?
>>I'd prefer the cheapest solution, but a SCSI solution would be good
>>for future expansion.
>TO JAMULLA: you could take a look into the ftape driver, for QIC117
>tape drives (those that run out of the floppy controller). You might
>get some compatability info in the README (I guess, or I can send it
>to you).

From what I have heard, SCSI is still the way to go for tape backup and
Linux.  These QIC-80 drives are VERY difficult to get working properly with
multitasking OS's.

I paid about the same for a used SCSI drive as I would have for a new
floppy-tape drive, but it is twice as fast and has twice the capacity.

Quote:>As we're talking about it I have a similar question: Would an Adaptec 1540
>SCSI controller work with a Tandberg 150 Megs SCSI tape drive under LINUX
>(of course ;-) ? I've seen the HARDWARE-HOWTO, neither of them are listed
>there, BUT as it can be because whoever has it never noticed that it is not
>in the HOWTO I decided to ask, or they really don't work at all 8-(

Off hand, I would say this setup would work fine.  I have an Adaptec 1542C
and a Tandberg 3600 tape drive, and they work great with Linux.  I think the
1540 is just a 1542 without the floppy controller (?).

Most SCSI drives aren't listed in the HARDWARE list because most of them
work without special drivers.

-- Kevin

:: Kevin Fluet        V.A.L.I.S. Public Access Linux  (403)478-1281 ::