Yggdrasil Fall '94 Problem

Post by Thorsten Schill » Sun, 23 Oct 1994 05:25:17

Greetings.

I just picked up the Yggdrasil Plug-And-Play (Fall '94 release) and am
having some problems with it.  I have a Future Domain TMC-850 SCSI
Controller with a Chinon CDX-535 CD-ROM drive.

Installation goes fine.  At the boot: prompt I enter

     linux tmc8xx=0xCA00,5

and I have verified those values with my controller.

However, after it finishes its "Calibrating Delay Loop..." sequence, it
displays

     scsi0 : Seagate ST-01/ST-02
     scsi : 1 hosts.
     scsi : detected total.

Then it continues its startup a while longer and then displays (right
after displaying the RAMDISK size and address):

     NEC IDE CD-ROM I/O ERROR
     dev 1F00: sector <sector number>

These messages repeat for a few screens full until we end with a

     Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 1d:01

Now, judging from the documentation this means that I have an unsupported
CD-ROM drive?  Are there any options available to me?

The documentation mentions that I can boot up DOS and then run a RUNLINUX
batch file to start linux that way (to allow linux to use the DOS driver
for the CD-ROM).  The only way I could get this to work at all was to
strip everything out of my config.sys and autoexec.bat except the driver
and the MSCDEX program.  But even here I got a ton of I/O errors reported
by MSCDEX and, when I tried the DEMO (it did end up booting this far),
it also seemed to lock up half-way through it (it displayed what looked
like ghostview with a textfile, that went away and just sat there).

Now, I'm assuming that I'll have a bit more success with the INSTALLATION
option.  However, I would much prefer just getting it to recognize my
Chinon CD-ROM.  Do I have any options I'm not aware of?  Can anyone confirm
that this (unsupported CD-ROM type) *IS* my problem?

Dazed and confused, :)

Thorsten Schiller
--

|       The Realm of Twilight BBS       | Line 1: 1-519-748-9026 (v32b) |
| Canadian Excelsior! Support/Beta Site | Line 2: 1-519-748-9365 (2400) |

Yggdrasil Fall '94 Problem

Post by Daniel Quinl » Mon, 24 Oct 1994 03:40:03

> Greetings.
> I just picked up the Yggdrasil Plug-And-Play (Fall '94 release) and am
> having some problems with it.  I have a Future Domain TMC-850 SCSI
> Controller with a Chinon CDX-535 CD-ROM drive.

> Installation goes fine.  At the boot: prompt I enter

>      linux tmc8xx=0xCA00,5

There is a typo in the manual.  It should be `0xCA000,5'.

Please get a copy of ther Fall 1994 errata via ftp at
ftp.yggdrasil.com in /pub/fall94/errata.

Dan

--

1. Problems with Fall '94 Yggdrasil (odd cd problems)

  The Story So Far...
I have a DEC cdrom (which worked fine as the (you guessed it) Sony CDU-31A
before (a .99pl9 version on Linux)).  So after getting the obligatory NULL
deference, I found and downloaded the boot-5in and booted off of it.
It sort of worked, I got tons of messages like:
CDU31A Read Error 0x01 after 10 retrys, returning error
And eventually reports like:
dev 0f00, sector 115280
Each of these errors took around 8 minutes to process, and I got 4 or so
during boot, so retries were painful, and install just died.

So I booted from the .99 floppy.  From it I was able to get install to
work.  I copied /mnt/vmlinux to floppy, and booted.
Worked.  (ok I'm skipping a lot of things that didnt, but anyway).
So I try install-component, and get the familiar old
CDU31A Read Errors, and nothing will install.

So, I borrowed a scsi (non-sony) cdrom, and got it to work.
Now in the middle of usrbin, it claims the scsi chain is not terminated!
(It is).  Any ideas!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Could it be a bad cdrom?  Thats my only real idea right now.

(PS I'm not a newbie to either UNIX (6 years) or Linux (2).....
Feel free to give technical descriptions.....)

-s

2. Remote killing a process without passing password

3. Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug 'n' Play doesn't want to play.

4. Power Management utility for Linux

5. Yggdrasil Summer 94 to Fall 94 upgrade -- HOW TO???

6. 2nd Hard Drive

7. Yggdrasil Fall 94': CD-ROM problems!

8. Duplicate printers

9. Yggdrasil Fall'94 -- having major install problems

10. Problems with Yggdrasil (fall '94) and Reno CD-ROM

11. Yggdrasil Fall 94 installation problem: can't load from HD

12. Yggdrasil Fall'94 (2 problems)

13. Problems installing Yggdrasil Fall'94