HPIIP line spacing problems under Linux

Post by Michael Edward No » Thu, 19 Aug 1993 16:11:49

I'm having a problem printing under Linux 0.99.10 with my HP LaserJet IIP.
Whenever I print with Ghostscript, the vertical line spacing is not right--
it's a uniform couple of pixels between lines of text, regardless of the
font sizes, intervening blank lines, etc.  For example, printing a
Postscript version of (/n = newline):

Hello world!/n/n/nBottom line

results in:
Hello world!
Bottom line

with no blank lines anywhere to be seen.  Additionally, when I can text files
to /dev/lp1, the carriage returns get eaten, with the text marching across the
page until it hits the right border.  I've tried (as the printing FAQ
suggests) a  cat filename |sed -e "s/$/^M/" >/dev/lp1, but the text continues
to march across the page, with the occasional ^M thrown in for good measure.
I've tried all of the differing "Line Termination" escape code sequences to
alter how the printer interprets CR/LF/FF characters, but none made any
difference, under Ghostscript or with a cat (with or without |sed pipe).

I'm using the binaries of Ghostscript from SLS 1.02, and the net-2 code
(which actually works on my machine, as far as I can tell).  The above
problems persist regardless of whether or not I try to use lpr for spooling
(which spools as it's supposed to, but the output is still wrong).  Both
Ghostscript and cat >/dev/lp1 work properly on my Epson FX-80 (using
-sDEVICE=epson for the Epson and -sDEVICE=ljet2p for the IIP for Ghostscript),
so I know that I can print under Linux, but the Epson FX-80's not mine, and
I won't be able to use it in a week.

The relevant section of my /etc/printcap is:

# Entry for HP LaserJet IIP in Postscript mode (300 DPI)
# DEFAULT ENTRY when HP LaserJet IIP is in use!
lp|laser|hp2p|hpiip|hpiip-d|lj2p|lj2p-d|HP LaserJet IIP:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :if=/usr/spool/lpd/hp2p-300-ps:\
        :lf=/dev/console:\
        :pl#66:\
        :sb:sh:hl:

If anyone else with a HP IIP (or IID, or any other HP LaserJet, for that
matter) has seen a similar problem, or knows how to fix it, please contact me.
Please email me your suggestions, and I'll post a summary if there's enough
interest.  I'm also cross-posting to gnu.ghostscript.bug in case there's a
Ghostscript-specific solution for some of my problems.

Please email any and all suggestions, ideas, and solutions to the address
listed below.  Thanks for your help!

Michael Noth

1. Linux permanent Line (connection two linux machines over a leased line (permanent telephone line)

Hi

I am trying to configure a ppp server to connection two linux machines
together. Aim is to connect two lans and finally make it possible to connect
into the internet through one server.

The leased line (permanen telephone line) is working. I can connect both
machines via minicom, but i am not able to set up the ppp server. If read
the standard howto's and i haven't solved setting up server and client
probably, whether normal ppp-client is working for other accounts.

Any experiences, suggestions? Help would be real great.

thanks in advance for every help

Christian

2. Netware

3. HELP: How do I read a file line-by-line without getting spaces stripped?

4. Adaptec 29160 supported?

5. Concatenate space due to carriage returns and new line characters into one line

6. Looking for a friendly DNS to handle my domainnames

7. Replacing >=1 white-space or empty lines with 1 empty line

8. SYSTEM FREEZE DURING INSTALL

9. Stairstep problem HPIIP

10. Printing Problems with HPIIp

11. Problem printing to HPIIp PS printer

12. Problem: GNU make looks at spaces at end of line

13. OpenOffice line spacing different btwn Linux and Windows versions