LILO Problems with 420Meg IDE in ancient (1986) computer

LILO Problems with 420Meg IDE in ancient (1986) computer

Post by Lance A. Bro » Wed, 30 Nov 1994 05:43:25

Greetings,

System Info:

   386/20mhz/8Meg RAM (circa 1986)
   IDE Controller
   WD Caviar 420 Meg IDE Drive

Problem:

   The BIOS in this computer does not know about this IDE drive, and
   has no means of setting user defined CMOS drive values.  OnTrack
   Disk Manager configures the CMOS as type 38 w/ 1024/16/17 Standard
   geometry and 3048/16/17 NonStandard geometry.

   Booting DOS works fine.

   Installed Slackware 2.0 from diskettes with:

   hda1  32  Meg DOS
   hda2  24  Meg Linux Swap
   hda3  100 Meg Linux Native

   LILO give me a geo_comp_addr error that cylinder 1026>1023.
   Investigation tells me that this means LILO wants a file that does
   not reside within the first 1024 cylinders of the disk.  I assume
   this is lilo.conf.

Question:

   Is there a way to make LILO get along with this configuration or
   should I just re-arrange the partitioning and reinstall linux?

Thanks,
  --[Lance]

1. sound card analog devices 1986 (soundMAX)

I would like to know whether this sound card is supported by linux;
on the ALSA website I found in the analog devices section I found a
list of card all supported by a single driver but that doesn't include
the 1986 but the 1985.
and what i do not understand is they suggest two drivers for two
chipsets; one VIA82xx and Intel 8x0. I do not have any of those
chipsets on my hardware;
knoppix (i downloaded 3 mths back) doesn't recognize my sound card

2. NFS mount Solaris filesystem on linux

3. Ancient Computer Hardware

4. How do I set my .plan so finger can get at it?

5. Ancient computer running a CD burner?

6. Can't see VisionFS server from Win95 network !!!

7. **** Info about Computer Break ins and Hacking ****

8. ew

9. Computer Break ins and Hacking Info?

10. LILO: Linux-IDE#1, DOS-IDE#2 = probs

11. New computer, old problem: LILO hangs and prints only LI

12. Problems with IDE where not IDE problems at all but ...

13. PROBLEM: 2.4.20 on ICH4 : ide-cdrom/ide-scsi problems reading cds