Where is the HOWTO for setting up NFS?

Post by Eberhard Moenkebe » Mon, 28 Feb 1994 06:55:43

Hello Rob and all others,

on 24.02.94 Rob Newberry wrote to All in USENET.COMP.OS.LINUX.HELP:

RN> I just set up a Linux machine on my net, and want to share it's files
RN> to others via NFS.  Which HOWTO does (and if one doesn't, where else
RN> should I look) explains how to setup NFS on the Linux box?  Any help
RN> is appreciated.

There is not much HOWTO to study:

Go into /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 and enable rpc.portmap, rpc.nsfd and rpc.mountd.

read "man exports" and edit /etc/exports (avoid tabs there).
     "/ *.*.*(ro) *.*.*.*(ro)"
would allow every other host to mount all of your directories read-only.

Greetings ... Eberhard

Post by Rob Newber » Fri, 25 Feb 1994 20:26:22

I just set up a Linux machine on my net, and want to share it's files
to others via NFS.  Which HOWTO does (and if one doesn't, where else
should I look) explains how to setup NFS on the Linux box?  Any help
is appreciated.

Thanks.

Rob

Where is the HOWTO for setting up NFS?

Post by Marc Fraio » Wed, 02 Mar 1994 09:42:37

Quote:>There is not much HOWTO to study:

>Go into /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 and enable rpc.portmap, rpc.nsfd and rpc.mountd.

I noticed that Linux seems to lack the "showmount" command, or at least my
Slackware 1.1.1 does.  Is there a substitute available somewhere?

---
Marc Fraioli          |  "We will create new Hiroshimas and Nagasakis.  I

Post by Urs Thuerma » Sat, 05 Mar 1994 00:16:56

>I noticed that Linux seems to lack the "showmount" command, or at least my
>Slackware 1.1.1 does.  Is there a substitute available somewhere?

What do you want "showmount" to do?  Probably "mount" without arguments
is what you're looking for.

Urs

Post by James F Small » Sat, 05 Mar 1994 07:00:16

>>I noticed that Linux seems to lack the "showmount" command, or at least my
>>Slackware 1.1.1 does.  Is there a substitute available somewhere?

>What do you want "showmount" to do?  Probably "mount" without arguments
>is what you're looking for.

No, it isn't.  showmount is missing. :-(

Post by Marc Fraio » Sun, 06 Mar 1994 04:51:58

>>I noticed that Linux seems to lack the "showmount" command, or at least my
>>Slackware 1.1.1 does.  Is there a substitute available somewhere?

>What do you want "showmount" to do?  Probably "mount" without arguments
>is what you're looking for.

mount w/o arguments shows what filesystems my machine has mounted.  showmount
will take a hostname as an argument and show what filesystems that remote
machine has exported and to who.

--
Marc Fraioli          |         HAIL ANTS!

1. APC Back-UPS 400, updated howto for UPS?

I have the UPS howto which has all kinds of conflicting information on
the best way to wire the cable for automated shutdown with APC backups.
I looked around for an updated howto but the latest I can find is 2.42,
18 Nov '97!

Simple shutdown is fine, I'm not too concerned about using the low-batt
signal, I'd rather just time my shutdown and start the countdown as soon
as power is gone.  I experimented some and I get about 5 minutes of
uptime, of course, the computer wasn't doing too much.. :)

Oh, is there a way to set my bios somehow to turn the computer back on
after power is restored?  I have a VIA-503+ mobo with an ATX power
supply.  I'm thinking there is a wake on lan option or something like
that, might be related to APS though..

Thanks!

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.org                      Powered by RedHat 6.0

2. Best configuration for email/news over SLIP?

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. Slackware makepkg question

5. Where is the HOWTO for setting up NFS?

6. How to set up .rhosts file for access with rsh?

7. Is there a HOWTO for setting up NFS

8. Production Grade Digital I/O Card

9. NFS: NFS-HOWTO ?

10. Am Power Smart UPS daemon around?

11. HOWTO: UPS + Modem, no cable messing

12. APC UPS Howto?

13. Linux UPS HOWTO (part 1/2)