Linux support for philips lms 206 CD ROM?

Linux support for philips lms 206 CD ROM?

Post by steve dav » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 02:33:46

Currently, there is no linux driver for this CD ROM.

Is anyone working on a driver, or should I forget
about ever using this drive with linux?

I noticed that there are drivers for previous
philips CD ROM (205, etc..).  Who wrote those
drivers?

--
Steven C. Davis

Post by Geoffrey Anderso » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 12:46:08

>I noticed that there are drivers for previous
>philips CD ROM (205, etc..).  Who wrote those
>drivers?

Hi, I have a LMSI 205 CDROM. When you find out, could you let me know if you
get your CDROM working? I'm afraid to install Linux until I hear some proof it
works on that CDROM.
TIA

Post by Keith Rober » Sun, 20 Nov 1994 22:20:38

:
: >I noticed that there are drivers for previous
: >philips CD ROM (205, etc..).  Who wrote those
: >drivers?
:
: Hi, I have a LMSI 205 CDROM. When you find out, could you let me know if you
: get your CDROM working? I'm afraid to install Linux until I hear some proof it
: works on that CDROM.
: TIA
The CM205 driver that is available at alpha release (v 0.3) was written

this driver to work with my CM 205MS drive. This is probably due to my
incompetence and I intend to do a little more debugging before contacting
Kai. If anybody knows that the driver doesn't work with the CM205MS I
would appreciate it if they would let me know.

Post by Scott Howa » Sat, 26 Nov 1994 11:03:16

: The CM205 driver that is available at alpha release (v 0.3) was written

: this driver to work with my CM 205MS drive. This is probably due to my
: incompetence and I intend to do a little more debugging before contacting
: Kai. If anybody knows that the driver doesn't work with the CM205MS I
: would appreciate it if they would let me know.

This driver will not work with the 205MS drives/controller, nor the 206.
The interface between these two is completely different to the standard
205 interface. (The interfaces are actually, 250MS, 260 and 250 respectively)

As for contacting the author, dont bother. Kai has no interest in writing
a 205Ms/206 driver due to other comittments, lact of information, and lack
of such a drive, but may still be interested in assisting someone else to
do this.

  Scott
   (Yet another owner of a 205MS drive)

Linux support for philips lms 206 CD ROM?

Post by K.D. knguy » Wed, 30 Nov 1994 07:02:38

Quote:> As for contacting the author, dont bother. Kai has no interest in writing
> a 205Ms/206 driver due to other comittments, lact of information, and lack
> of such a drive, but may still be interested in assisting someone else to
> do this.

>   Scott
>    (Yet another owner of a 205MS drive)

I would be interested in getting info on how make lmscd work. I had LMSI
CM205 (single session) and lmscd does not work.  I tried to contact LMSI BBS
to get information on this CM205 interface. They promised to send me the
specs, but I have not received it yet.  I am not sure how useful the specs is.
But if Kai is willing to transfer what he knows about this driver,  Then I am
very willing to take anything to make this damn CD work under LINUX.  I tried
to send E-MAIL to Kai but heard of nothing. Are you sure that is still

--
          '''           K.D. Nguyen
         (o o)          BDM Federal, Inc.

Philadelphia isn't dull - it just seems so because
  it is next to exciting Camden, NJ.

1. Looking for a Philips LMS 206 (not 205) CD-ROM driver

I've just picked up a Philips LMS 206 double speed driver (Fry's was
selling them for $89).  After an afternoon of fun setting jumpers,
seating boards and savoring the joys of DOS once again, I managed to
get DOS to recognize the CD-ROM as the D: drive.

On the linux side, I upgraded to the 1.0 kernel (where do you find out
which patch level?) and folded in the patches for the lmscd driver.
When I boot this hybridized kernel, it hangs when trying to recognize
the CD-ROM.  Turning on debugging showed that lms_interrupt() was
getting called repeatedly (> 1000 times/sec) with the cd state == 0.
The 1.0 kernel without the CD-ROM driver works just fine.

While I may have made a mistake in applying the patches by hand, I
doubt that this is the problem --- mis-applying the patches would more
likely have caused build problems due to undefined device numbers and
such.

Could anyone either point me at a 206 driver or enough technical info
on the differences between the 205 and 206 to figure out how to patch
things up?

Unfortunately, I don't have a 205 handy, so I can't tell you whether
my mutant kernel will, in fact, drive a 205.  I suspect it would,
since the 205 driver is compatible with both pre and post 1.0.  In
other words, the only problems should be in getting it to build in the
first place.  I would be glad to beta (or alpha) test someone else's
attempt --- the 205 driver is nice and clean, it just doesn't seem to
recognize the 206.

Other cards in the system: IDE controller/IO, extra serial port,
SoundBlaster Pro, SVGA, internal modem.  I haven't tried rebooting
linux with all these pulled out, but I did have all but the IDE and
SVGA out while mucking with DOS.  Didn't seem to make a difference.
Also, I doubt it's an IRQ or IO address conflict, since DOS works (if
you call that working) and the driver is able to get the IRQ when it
requests it from the kernel.

Thanks
--
                                | Easily amused

                                |               Perpetually confused

2. Ctrl-Alt-Bksp in X

3. Help: cd-rom with philips LMS-206

4. hi

5. LMS Philips CD-ROM (CM-206)

6. Pine

7. Need LMS/Philips 206 CD-ROM driver

8. Linux-Misc Digest #390

9. Philips LMS CM-206 CD-Rom

10. Philips LMS-206 CD-ROM Drive ?

11. Driver for Philips LMS CM-206 CD?

12. Philips CM-206 CD-ROM drivers in order to install Linux

13. HELP WITH LMS CM 206 CD-ROM