Notebook\dock\SCSI config problem HELP!

Post by Aaron Turn » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 02:42:07

Hello all!
Well yesterday I took the plunge and installed Linux & Xfree on my
notebook.  (a Sager 9200).  Well the install\setup\config took all day
and I finally with little problems got it to work.  Now it recognizes my
SB SCSI-2 card (aha1510).  Linux finds and mounts my Plextor 4Plex and
SyQuest 3720S with little problems.  EXCEPT!
  When I leave the dock (I do this a lot) it can't find the SCSI card as
defined in lilo.conf- rightly so 'cuz it ain't there.  But, since it
can't find it- Linux won't boot-- Major bummer.  So before I leave the
dock, I have to re-configure LILO to not look for the SCSI card.
  So my question- is there a way around this? Is there an equivalent to
DOS's multi-config boot or something?  Or am I relegated to a boot
floppy?  Any suggestions welcome!  But, please explain your answer step
by step 'cuz I am a new-NEWBIE.  (BTW, incase you arn't aware the 1510
doesn't have a BIOS)

Another question: -not as important though-
My notebook has a trackball connected to the PS/2 port.  When I'm at the
dock, I have a keyboard connected to the PS/2 port and a MS mouse on
COM1.  Is there a way to get the trackball to work when I'm on the road
and the mouse to work when I'm at the dock?  What about configuring XFree?

TIA!

Aaron Turner          *****************************************************

AOL: Falcon3PLT       *    which is adequately explained by stupidity.    *
CIS: 74601,3315       *****************************************************

1. Notebook docking stations and SCSI

     I'm considering getting a notebook to run linux on, and I want to
be able to use a SCSI tape drive I have and maybe a CD-ROM drive in the
future.  One option that almost all of the notebooks I am considering
offer is a docking station (aka port replicator) and they almost all
have a SCSI bus on them.
     It's just occuring to me now, but is there any reason that a SCSI
bus
on such a docking station wouldn't work with linux (assuming the
controller chip is supported under linux)?  Has anybody successfully
used a SCSI device off a port replicator's SCSI bus?

---

   (603) 643-5716    http://mmm.dartmouth.edu/pages/iago/iago.home.html

2. does anyone own a western digital external hard disk?

3. LILO, NEC notebook and docking station.. HELP!

4. newnumbers for DNS

5. Help - Installing SuSE Linux 8.0 on Sony Vaio PCG-R505 DL notebook w/ PCGA-DSM5 dock

6. vlock -a

7. Problem with notebook + internal modem + docking station

8. liblpp.a

9. Docking Plus for TI5*** notebook question

10. XFree86 on a Toshiba notebook PC undocked and then docked to a Revolution graphics card?

11. **** Help w/ the SCSI controller in an IBM Thinkpad Dock I ****

12. **** Help with an IBM Thinkpad Dock 1 SCSI controller ****

13. scsi problems: docking station/ISA bus q-logic card??