lpr won't print

Post by Martin Oakl » Sun, 15 Jan 1995 15:04:51

Linux picks up my printer as lp2 (although dos finds LPT1). This in
itself shouldn't cause a problem. I can redirect to /dev/lp2 and stuff
comes out my printer.

lpr however puts stuff in the queue and leaves it there. I've looked at
the Printing-Howto and it seems more concerned with formatted output.

I did have lpr working until I upgraded to Slackware 2.1 and I know I
messed around with it - but I can't remember what I did :-(

I have set PRINTER=/dev/lp2   - and I would have thought that it was then
the default printer - didn't help though.

Any ideas?

1. lpr won't print - "Unable to get official name for local machine"

Long long ago (in Linux terms) I successfully installed Linux and had (at
least minimal) printing capability. Now I have come back to play with Linux
again, and I can't print.

Perhaps my networking details are not sufficiently specified for lpd or lpr
to behave? What is "official name for local machine" and how do I set it?

Slackware 3.3, using Linux2.0.30 kernel....

Thanks for any help....
--
"You Never Know until you Find Out"
    -the knave_-

2. Howto know what is linked in your kernel

3. Printer configured but won't print using lpr

4. UNIX File System

5. Slackware 1.01 lpr won't print for non-root

6. Can you Install Solaris???

7. : SLS test, linux 0.99p10: PROB: lpr won't print.

8. IPFWADM-Configuration Problem! Please help!

9. It's Possible Printing Postscript Documents with lpr (linux) or print command ( windows)?

10. printing postscript with 'LPR'

11. printing postscript using 'LPR'

12. ASCII printing using 'lpr'

13. AIX/Win NT printing with lpr