Boot disk won't mount hard disk as root filesystem

Boot disk won't mount hard disk as root filesystem

Post by Joe Whalle » Wed, 03 Nov 1993 00:47:27

I installed SLS on my 2nd SCSI drive, and created a boot
disk by copying the kernal to a floppy, after using
rdev to set the root device to /dev/sdb1.  When the
floppy boots, I get a login prompt, but when I enter
anything, I get a "/bin/login not found" error.  I can
mount the hard disk if I boot from the A1.3 floppy -
how to I get my boot floppy to do it for me?

Boot disk won't mount hard disk as root filesystem

Post by Joe Whalle » Thu, 04 Nov 1993 22:42:37

Several have suggested that login is not
on the root device - I think the hard drive is not being mounted -
the system boots from the boot floppy,
which only has the kernal on it.  The kernal
puts up the login prompt, but since the hard drive
is not mounted - the is no /bin/login program.
If I boot from the a1 disk, and manually mount the
hard drive, /mnt/bin/login is present.  My problem is
the kernal does not seem to have the result of the
rdev command in it (set the root device to /dev/sdb1).
Is there anyway to examine this in the kernal?

Joe

Post by Mark Cha » Fri, 05 Nov 1993 14:13:08

>I installed SLS on my 2nd SCSI drive, and created a boot
>disk by copying the kernal to a floppy, after using
>rdev to set the root device to /dev/sdb1.  When the
>floppy boots, I get a login prompt, but when I enter
>anything, I get a "/bin/login not found" error.  I can
>mount the hard disk if I boot from the A1.3 floppy -
>how to I get my boot floppy to do it for me?

The root device is being mounted or you would not get that
far.  The initial login prompt is actually put up by a program
called getty (or mgetty, or uugetty, or...).  I would verify
that /bin/login actually exists and is executable.

Mark

1. Starbuck won't boot, rescue disk won't mount

I tried to upgrade my RH5.2 to 5.9 (Starbuck).  The upgrade process
produced some errors the first time, so I repeated it and ended up
with (I thought) a complete upgrade (i.e., no errors on the second
time through).
Starbuck begins to load just fine, with "OK" messages for all the
steps of the load prior to linuxconf, which hangs, at least for an
hour or two...  No joy.
So, I turn to the rescue disk.  Using the boot disk created during the
upgrade, I ask for rescue.  After the kernel loads, I am asked to
insert the ROOT disk in /dev/fd0, at which time I insert the rescue
disk copied from rescue.img on the CD.  This produces the message
"Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:00"

I have tried different floppies for the rescue disk, as well as
different block lengths (72k and 1440 k), all to no avail.  My next
step will be to start all over with a clean install, unless one of you
smart and kind folks can suggest a neater way to dig myself out of
this hole.  Thanks for reading this far!

2. Virtual table problems

3. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

4. UUCP and Windows Sizes

5. How do you make your own ``Slackware Boot Disk and Root Disk''??

6. Problems of configuration of X11 with a Diamond Stealth Card under Red Hat 5.2

7. prob: SCS 1.02 a1.root doesn't load RAM disk - won't boot

8. AIX bosboot: /bootrec not found

9. e2fsck won't mount same disk after new disk...?

10. what different between boot disk, root disk and emergency disk???

11. IBM disk as boot disk won't work in SS LX under 2.5.1?

12. Runs boot disk but doesn't go to root disk??