Can't install with Adaptec 2842 SCSI card

Can't install with Adaptec 2842 SCSI card

Post by Ben Klausn » Tue, 28 Mar 1995 11:10:11

I've got a 486DX-66 VLB clone with an S3 card and an Adaptec 2842 SCSI
card.  No other controllers. The last drive is absolutely terminated,
and the cables have worked fine for DOS and OS/2 for years. The devices
on the SCSI bus are a 660 MB drive at ID 0, a tape drive at ID 3, and a
CD-ROM at ID 5.

When I try to install the Slackware distribution using the 2.1.0
bootkernel, I get to the SCSI detection phase, and then everything
hangs. The last few messages are something like:

  Detected SCSI disk sda at scsi0, id 0, lun 0
  scsi0: Target 0 lun 1 request sense failed, performing reset
  aha274x: Attempting to reset scsi bus and card

I've tried this with the scsi, alpha, and loaded bootdisks, and the
results are all the same.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

     The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things.
         Of Unix, telnet, ftp; of protocols and pings.

Austin, TX

1. Adaptec 2842 SCSI VLB Card

Has anyone had any experience installing linux with this card? A friend is
attempting to install linux off of the latest cd-rom and has basically been
told to either a) buy an 8-bit card, or b) wait for the drivers. Any help
will be appreciated.

--------------------------------+---------------------------------------------

"I recognize the face but .." |"Not if you don't mind me clawing at the dash
[Use of this space prohibited   | and shrieking like a cheerleader!"
 pending patent litigation]     |- Sam & Max Hit the Road

2. Suggestions needed on serial_port_read/write in UNIX

3. Adaptec 2842 VLB SCSI II card

4. ATI Radeon 9600 XT

5. adaptec 2842 scsi card

6. Cannot use mtools on floppy drive under Slackware 1.2.0

7. Linux with Adaptec 2842 VL bus scsi card

8. Adaptec 2842 VLB scsi card

9. HELP!!! Can't install with Adaptec 2842!

10. Success with bootdisk for Adaptec 2842 SCSI

11. Adaptec 2842 / Tandberg SCSI-2 Tape -- successes?

12. Adaptec 2842 SCSI Controller supported by Linux??