Drivers

Post by The Leslie Famil » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:28:49

Hello Everyone,

I'm having some trouble tracking down some certain Linux Drivers for my
system. I was just wondering if any of you guys out there would know where I
could find them! Anyways here is a list of the drivers that I need for my
system.

Sound Blaster 16 - The Creative site does not host Linux Drivers!

MS Intellimouse - Do I need any special drivers to take advantage of its
mouse wheel or anything? In a system such as Debian I am pretty sure that
you would!

Generic Monitor Drivers - I have a Viewsonic 6E but when I tried the
Viewsonic 6E drivers that were supplied with systems such as Red-Hat and
Mandrake the viewable monitor area was way off to one side of the monitor
and could not be easily corrected without the use of such software as
vidtune (I think that is what it is called). Therefore, I wanted a source of
Generic monitor drivers that I could try out and experiment with. The
Viewsonic site was no help.

Generic Modem Drivers - I actually have a Simple Modem 56K by Simple
Computing but I couldn't find their site no matter how hard I tried. And I
doubt they would have Linux drivers anyway. So I was just wondering where I
could find a Generic Modem Driver.

HP Deskjet 840C - For the obvious reason that I would like to print in
Linux. The HP site was of no help.

HP Scanjet 3300C - This is not a priority, but it would be great if I could
get all of my hardware working in Linux. The HP site was of no help.

By the way, here are some notes. Firstly, all of the drivers must be
compatible with Debian 2.2R3. Also, the scanner is USB and Debian 2.2R3 uses
the Linux 2.2 kernel. I have heard that the 2.2 kernel's support of USB is a
bit patchy so does this cause any problems? I have heard that upgrading
Debian 2.2R3 to the 2.4 kernel is not a pleasent expierience. Thirdly,
systems such as Debian do not have some of the very easy to use setup
systems such as sndconfig so that is why I am asking to download the driver
files so I can keep them for whenever I need them and also for future
versions of Debian for ease of use. This is a bit of an ask but you guys are
the only ones who would probably have any idea of where to find this kind of
stuff. Anyways, thanks a lot for your help in advance! Cheers!

Drivers

Post by Andrew Burto » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 22:57:20

>Hello Everyone,

>I'm having some trouble tracking down some certain Linux Drivers for my
>system. I was just wondering if any of you guys out there would know where I
>could find them! Anyways here is a list of the drivers that I need for my
>system.

>Sound Blaster 16 - The Creative site does not host Linux Drivers!

>MS Intellimouse - Do I need any special drivers to take advantage of its
>mouse wheel or anything? In a system such as Debian I am pretty sure that
>you would!

>Generic Monitor Drivers - I have a Viewsonic 6E but when I tried the
>Viewsonic 6E drivers that were supplied with systems such as Red-Hat and
>Mandrake the viewable monitor area was way off to one side of the monitor
>and could not be easily corrected without the use of such software as
>vidtune (I think that is what it is called). Therefore, I wanted a source of
>Generic monitor drivers that I could try out and experiment with. The
>Viewsonic site was no help.

>Generic Modem Drivers - I actually have a Simple Modem 56K by Simple
>Computing but I couldn't find their site no matter how hard I tried. And I
>doubt they would have Linux drivers anyway. So I was just wondering where I
>could find a Generic Modem Driver.

I could never understand why there was a need for a modem driver. Unless
you have a winmodem or need to send/receive faxes, modem operation is
very straightforward. Depending on the serial port you connect the modem
to, the system will refer to it by /dev/ttyS0 for com1 etc. You may also
need to create a symbolic link for /dev/modem to the actual port you are
using. I.e. when I run kppp which refers to the /dev/modem device I have
setup a link as follows:

ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem

The dialer scripts such as KDE kppp and red hat's dialer basically use a
simple expect script to send the modem an ATD<number> command which
takes the phone off-hook, dials the number, negotiates the default (in
your case 56kbaud) connection and then responds with CONNECT. From this
point on, your modem might as well be a serial pipe. The ppp daemon
takes over and makes it look like a network.

In any case, none of the above requires anything special of the modem as
pretty much all modems support and auto negotiate V.90.

If you want, I can give you some help to roll-your-own ppp login. Its
not rocket science but it can take a bit of fiddling...

Quote:

>HP Deskjet 840C - For the obvious reason that I would like to print in
>Linux. The HP site was of no help.

The RedHat 7.1 release 'printtool' has an entry for this printer. I
would imagine that there is probably little difference between the HP
inkjet drivers in any case. Not sure if this is available for debian.
Try typing it in anyway .

Quote:

>HP Scanjet 3300C - This is not a priority, but it would be great if I could
>get all of my hardware working in Linux. The HP site was of no help.

>By the way, here are some notes. Firstly, all of the drivers must be
>compatible with Debian 2.2R3. Also, the scanner is USB and Debian 2.2R3 uses
>the Linux 2.2 kernel. I have heard that the 2.2 kernel's support of USB is a
>bit patchy so does this cause any problems? I have heard that upgrading
>Debian 2.2R3 to the 2.4 kernel is not a pleasent expierience. Thirdly,
>systems such as Debian do not have some of the very easy to use setup
>systems such as sndconfig so that is why I am asking to download the driver
>files so I can keep them for whenever I need them and also for future
>versions of Debian for ease of use. This is a bit of an ask but you guys are
>the only ones who would probably have any idea of where to find this kind of
>stuff. Anyways, thanks a lot for your help in advance! Cheers!

AB

1. Drivers, Drivers, Drivers!

I'm looking for a good place to locate drivers for Linux.  Currently
I'm having a problem getting a Katron ethernet adapter working on
a 486/33 machine.  The system keeps locking up during the auto-
sensing phase of the boot process.

If anyone can aim me in the right direction of a storage location
for Linux drivers I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim O'Shea

St. Louis, Missouri

2. How to Diagnose diald problems

3. SIS7012/K7S5A: ALSA, Kernel driver, SIS's driver... best driver choice?

4. Delayed TCP messages on 2.4 during poll command

5. Drivers, Drivers, Drivers

6. install inc-4.4.tar.z in /usr not /

7. How 32 bit driver can be ported to 64 bit driver?

8. all the command parameters in ps

9. How can I put a module/driver below IP driver in a stream?

10. Hayes Modem Driver PC-104 & Linux Drivers

11. Concurrency - driver driver

12. driver: receiving interrupt from another drivers hardware