Floppies

Post by Benjamin Gene Curt » Wed, 30 Nov 1994 07:38:55

        I formatted some 3.5' 1.44 meg floppies with the 2nd extended
file system with kernel 1.1.44.  Now I've completely replaced my Linux
installation, and have tried to read these disks with both the 1.1.18 and
1.1.64 kernels with no success.  I can mount the disk (fd0 on my sys) by
specifying the file system as ext2, but ls doesn't show any files.  If I
mount the disk on /mnt, and do 'ls /mnt' from another directory, it shows
no files.  If I cd to /mnt, then do ls, it gives an error that '.' is not
present.  df reports the space being used on the disk.  I recompiled both
kernels myself, with all the file system support each time.  Please help!
I have some rather important files on these disks, and I'd prefer not
to lose them. :)

1. rescue floppy for LS-120/ATAPI floppy drive

My file system seems to have corrupted overnight running SuSE 7.1.  Not
sure if it rebooted (I have a UPS, but not monitored) or fell back to
runlevel 1 when it got stuck accessing the disk (possibly due to heat
which was only up to around 85 degress F).

When it tries to fsck my / during reboot it drops to single mode after:
hdb: dma-intr: error=0x40 {Unrecoverable Error}, LBAsect=14771969,
sector 14681184
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:45 (hdb), sector 14681184
Error reading block 1835748 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.

Anyway I made a tomsrtbt rescue floppy and it boots from a
standard floppy drive on the computer it was created on, but not the one
with the problem.  It correctly identifies hdc as LS-120, ATAPI floppy
(the floppy being booted from) and hdd as DVD-ROM, but later hangs
during or after a partition check of hdc (which has no partitions).

I could install another copy of SuSE on empty space on that hard drive,
but is there a rescue floppy version that can boot from an ATAPI floppy?

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

2. Problem with SLIP (0.99pl11)

3. searching scsi floppy driver to read dos floppies for sol 2.4

4. about to give up on MOL

5. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy

6. How many Lan cards supported in linux ?

7. Boot floppy/root floppy to ramdisk, add more later?

8. Bonding

9. Making custom boot floppies without a floppy.

10. floppy? what floppy?

11. windows floppy & linux floppy

12. Making a bootable Linux floppy with root on the floppy

13. floppy.c vs. ide-floppy.c