How to recover dos partition after lilo installation mistake?

How to recover dos partition after lilo installation mistake?

Post by John J. Pri » Sat, 10 Sep 1994 00:16:44

I reinstalled lilo a newer version of lilo this morning.
Apparently I made a (big) mistake is telling it to put lilo on
/dev/hda1.  Now mount complains it can't find a valid MSDOS file
system and it can't be accessed from DOS either.

Is it possible to get out of this mess?

My configuration is:
/dev/hda1: dos
/dev/hda2: linux native
/dev/hda3: linux native (swap)

My /etc/lilo.conf file looked like this:
# LILO configuration created by QuickInst 0.14  Thu Sep 8 09:45:19 EDT 1994
boot = /dev/hda1
compact
delay = 5       # optional, for systems that boot very quickly
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
root = current  # use "current" root
image = /zImage
  label = linux
  append = "aha152x=0x140,11,7,1"
other=/dev/hda1
  label = dos

Jack Prior            | Rm. 16-011, 77 Mass. Ave.       | Phn  617-253-0469

BioProcess Control Lab| Cambridge, MA  02139     USA    | Home 617-225-7542

1. How to retreive my DOS disk after a lilo mistake

After an upgrade of lilo, I can't boot my DOS disk

I had already done the operation of upgrading lilo without any pb, but
this time, I made a mistake (I don't know where).

Even when I boot from a DOS floppy, I can't access my primary dos
partition.

I've tried a fdisk /MBR after the floppy boot but it did not solved the
pb. The DOS fdisk status reports that the system is UNKNOWN on the primary
partition.

I'm really desperate and I would appreciate any help (except a RTFM answer
because I know that)

Thanks

--

If you're involved in 3-tier C/S developement,
visit Nat Systems site at www.natsys.com

2. LAN install - Debian

3. Lilo Help: How do I default Lilo to Dos Partition?

4. Curses always leaves a "trace" file

5. recover dos partition for use with Linux?

6. Mgetty and 28K8

7. Recovering "invisible" partition and fixing DOS CDROM driver

8. how to find MAC address of NIC

9. DOS Partition Recover

10. did mkswap on DOS partition, can I recover?

11. Recover Dos Partition

12. recovering dos-partition from mkswap

13. How to recover DOS partition?