Onyx console on Linux box via serial port

Onyx console on Linux box via serial port

Post by Yeo Eng He » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to set up a linux box to be the console for an Onyx
running IRIX 6.5.4 via the serial port.  However, I have not been
successful.  I managed to do a 'cu' to the device and had to send a
break signal (~#) before I can get the prompt from the Onyx.
Then, the terminal just hangs and refuses to respond to any
keyboard command.

Has anyone managed to successfully use a Linux box to
connect to the serial port of an Onyx?  If you have, please
tell me how it is done.

Thanks.

--

Yeo Eng Hee
NUS Computer Centre, 2 Engineering Drive 4, Singapore 117584

Post by Walter Robers » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

:I am trying to set up a linux box to be the console for an Onyx
:running IRIX 6.5.4 via the serial port.  However, I have not been
:successful.  I managed to do a 'cu' to the device and had to send a
:break signal (~#) before I can get the prompt from the Onyx.

That suggests to me that you aren't using 9600 bps for the connection.

Post by Yeo Eng He » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> :I am trying to set up a linux box to be the console for an Onyx
> :running IRIX 6.5.4 via the serial port.  However, I have not been
> :successful.  I managed to do a 'cu' to the device and had to send a
> :break signal (~#) before I can get the prompt from the Onyx.

> That suggests to me that you aren't using 9600 bps for the connection.

Here's the content of my uucp port setup file:

port panther
type direct
device /dev/ttyS1
speed 9600

and I connect with the following command:

cu -p panther

I tried changing the speed to something else, but it only got worse.
At least when the line says speed 9600, the prompt I get from the Onyx
is readable ascii as expected from a console.

I am running my own compiled Linux 2.2.12. kernel on RedHat 6.1 and the
Onyx is running IRIX 6.5.4m.  Is there anything I missed out in the
setup as described?  Hope someone can enlighten me.

Eng Hee.

PS:  I hate to say this, but I managed to get the console running on
the same PC with MS Windows and HyperTerm.  But I would prefer to have
Linux instead of MS Windows.

1. Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

I'm a loss.  I have several machines already running with 9600 baud (default)
speeds to their serial consoles.  From what I read, you can't use
smc to modify the speed if the ports are used as consoles... but I cannot
figure out how to change the speed and reset the line so the rate
changes to the console.

I know it may be different in Solaris 10.. I've got a mix of Sol 8,9,10
plaforms.  How can I raise the rate to the maximum.  Also, even new
hardware seems to indicate that 38400 is as high as it can go...
anyone else know different and can tell me what I need to do to
enable for 115200 (or if it's possible)?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

2. ftp question (wu-ftpd)

3. Connecting and 8088 to my Linux box via serial ports

4. Gopher for Linux

5. Console access to a Redhat box via serial

6. dtaction and args with while spaces

7. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

8. shell script for restarting process

9. Serial Port Console via modem

10. RS6k / RS6000 AIX via serial port console

11. No boot with serial port console and console terminal off

12. slow connection between terminal(8088) and linux box via serial

13. Linking Linux boxes via serial link