Xwin problem.....

Post by she.. » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 01:14:16

I just installed Linux on my PC, but am unable to get X to work...

This is what I did.
I ran ConfigXF86, and also Makecard.. There didn't seem to be any
problems....

However when I try startx, I keep getting this::

Fatal server error
no screens found
xinit: no such file or directory (errno2) "this file IS in my root directory!"
unexpected signal 13

does anybody know why this is happening???
Did something go wrong, or am I simply missing an installation step??????

Any help will be greatly appreciated.....

Xwin problem.....

Post by Scott D. Yeli » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 12:28:54

I also have been unable to get X going.  I don't know much about linux
or dos.. and I don'tknow my video chips or scan rates or clocks.
superprober locks up and doesn't print anything useful to a redirected
file... X -probeonly never outputs anything...

I have a NEC Versa M laptop... dos MSD says I have a "Cirrus" "Vision"
screen.

Scott

Xwin problem.....

Post by David Schaafsma 303-497-72 » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 05:45:43

>I just installed Linux on my PC, but am unable to get X to work...

>This is what I did.
>I ran ConfigXF86, and also Makecard.. There didn't seem to be any
>problems....

>However when I try startx, I keep getting this::

>Fatal server error
>no screens found
>xinit: no such file or directory (errno2) "this file IS in my root directory!"
>unexpected signal 13

>does anybody know why this is happening???
>Did something go wrong, or am I simply missing an installation step??????

>Any help will be greatly appreciated.....

Try running xf86config_XFree86_3.1, also located in the ConfigXF86 directory.
If neither of these works, try calling your video card manufacturer and be
prepared to spend the next six months trying to get X running.

-DS

Xwin problem.....

Post by James Baldw » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 11:00:48

: >I just installed Linux on my PC, but am unable to get X to work...

     [snip]

: Try running xf86config_XFree86_3.1, also located in the ConfigXF86 directory.
: If neither of these works, try calling your video card manufacturer and be
: prepared to spend the next six months trying to get X running.

I could not find this file on my `puter anywhere what I did do was ftp
a file called `xf86config.gz' from the `sunsite.unc.edu' I think from
`/pub/Linux/X11/XFree86-3.1' dir d/l'ed it to my computer gunziped it and
then typed `chmod +x xf86config' and wham`o' I had the xf86config
executable ran it a couple of times and came up with a working config
file from it. I had the exact same error thing for alng time and this
file did the trick.

Hope this helps

--
James D. Baldwin

Xwindows, windows with an attitude...

1. kernel and xwin problems

Well, i wrote awhile back asking about upgrading kernel to support
sound, i later (after several recompiles) found out it was a module.
Anyway, i got it working, but I now seem to have several new problems.
The least of these of these being Xwindows wont boot unless your root.
It will load the screen, but show nothing and when you click it comes
up with the little menu, but the only option is exit. Odd. And the
other thing is that when I do run xwin as root and try to establish a
ppp link, it says not supported by kernel. Now it seems obvious that I
somehow messed my kernel and uninstalled some things i had had before.
But when I look in the config (make menuconfig) ppp seems to be
selected and i cant find anything about the xserver anywhere. I'd
really appriate any help you can give and if you could E-mail me that
would be great. Thankx
                                -Jess Rogers

2. solaris binaries

3. Xwin Problems

4. can't "stty -echo nl" in tcsh in Emacs M-x shell

5. orchid farenheit vlb Xwin problems

6. Problem : ftpd - debian - apache, ftp transfer flag read for all not set

7. 1.3.0 & Xwin = Problems

8. PCI modem 3COM/USR 2977

9. XWin problems

10. XWin problem after upgrade