DLink DE-220

Post by Agricolae Maximu » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:49:16

Help!

This may or may have not crossed your learned eyeballs before& I've tried to
find out any info before I've bugged you folks, but I can't find any tips.

I've got a cable connection, COGECO, in the Burlington, Ontario, Canada
area.  Is there any way to configure the DLink, DE-220, Plug `n Play card to
work with Linux?

I'm using Mandrake 7.1.  Should I get another card, and if  so, then what
card is compatible with the `COM21, DOXport 111, cable modem' employed by
COGECO? & recognized by Linux?

I've haunted the advice groups and followed the advice, but to no avail.

Anybody?  . . . Thanks, in advance . . .

                                Agricolae

--

DLink DE-220

Post by Joseph A. Knapk » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:44:13

> Help!

> This may or may have not crossed your learned eyeballs before& I've tried to
> find out any info before I've bugged you folks, but I can't find any tips.

> I've got a cable connection, COGECO, in the Burlington, Ontario, Canada
> area.  Is there any way to configure the DLink, DE-220, Plug `n Play card to
> work with Linux?

Since the DE220 is reputed to be NE2000-compatible, it should work
fine under Linux. Since it's PnP, however, you may need to configure
it using the "isapnp" package. You will need to do some reading :-)

Or you could save yourself the hassle and blow $20 (US) on a
new NIC. I use D-Link DFE530TX+ PCI cards mostly; they
sell for between $15 and $19 US and work just peachy if
you configure RealTek RTL8139 support into your kernel.

Quote:> I'm using Mandrake 7.1.  Should I get another card, and if  so, then what
> card is compatible with the `COM21, DOXport 111, cable modem' employed by
> COGECO? & recognized by Linux?

The modem will talk to any 10BaseT Ethernet card.
I've used different NICs with a COM21 cable
modem and also with a nameless cable modem supplied by
Road Runner here in West Texas. The only issue you may have
is that the modem may be configured to only talk to a
*particular* NIC; in that case, if you replace your NIC
you must also perform the magic rite that resets the cable
modem. Sometimes this can be accomplished by disconnecting
the modem from its power supply (*not* by just turning it
off) for several minutes. Other times, it requires you
to contact your service provider and ask them to reset
the modem (which can usually be done by them, remotely,
as long as the modem is turned on and connected to the
cable feed).

HTH,

-- Joe

Quote:> I've haunted the advice groups and followed the advice, but to no avail.

> Anybody?  . . . Thanks, in advance . . .

>                                 Agricolae

> --

-- Joe Knapka
"It was just a maddened crocodile hidden in a flower bed. It could
 have happened to anyone." -- Pratchett
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *

1. ethernet Dlink DE-220 PCT not detected

Hi,

I need help.
I am Linux-Newbie and run redhat 5.1 on 5 machines (building a linux
local
network in a high school :-)).
But the ethernet cards (Dlink DE-220 PCT, plug and play on m$ ) are not
detected by the redhat install.
The ethernet HOWTO says that those cards are supported (driver NE2000):
so
what now ?
Thanks for helping.

xavier coolen

2. Linux on Toshiba 480CDT ?

3. Does anyone know how to get a DLink DE- 220 Network Card working?

4. Q: Status of AVM FritzCard PCI v2.0

5. Strange behaviour: NE-2000 driver and DE-220-T DLink ethernet card

6. SGI illegal file access recording?

7. support for D-Link DE-220

8. downgrade

9. d-link DE-220 PCT driver / module for linux

10. D-Link DE-220 Support?

11. RedHat 4.1 with D-link DE-220

12. Ethernet Drivers with D-Link DE-220 ISA

13. D-Link DE-220 TCP/IP Networking Problem RH 5.2