FTP XFERLOG Log File

Post by Bill Pog » Wed, 16 Nov 1994 11:39:44

I've got my network running, and can do ftp, telnet, etc. When I transfer
a file using ftp it writes an entry in /var/adm/xferlog. Can I change
that to /var/adm/ftpxfer.log? If so, how? Please reply via email and I'll
forward responses to anyone interested.

TIA

bill

FTP XFERLOG Log File

Post by Kevin Martine » Sun, 20 Nov 1994 16:07:40

>I've got my network running, and can do ftp, telnet, etc. When I transfer
>a file using ftp it writes an entry in /var/adm/xferlog. Can I change
>that to /var/adm/ftpxfer.log?

You could always make a link, symbolic or otherwise. If you are using the
wu-ftp setup, the pathnames are set at compile time in the header file
"pathnames.h".

Line 37 has what you want:
#define _PATH_XFERLOG   "/usr/adm/xferlog"

Changing this to:
#define _PATH_XFERLOG   "/usr/adm/ftpxfer.log"

and recompiling would do this the proper way.
 Kevin Martinez                                Press Hard, Three Copies

FTP XFERLOG Log File

Post by jle.. » Sun, 20 Nov 1994 16:43:13

>You could always make a link, symbolic or otherwise. If you are using the
>wu-ftp setup, the pathnames are set at compile time in the header file
>"pathnames.h".
>Line 37 has what you want:
>#define _PATH_XFERLOG   "/usr/adm/xferlog"

I recently had to reinstall Linux from the slakware disk images and for some
reason, only anonymous/ftp and root are allowed to ftp in.  Regular users are
denied access even before they're asked for their password.  What have I
missed?  BTW...I commented root out of /etc/ftpusers so that I can ftp in.

                               |          OR

 Mime attachments are OK       |
 But please ask before sending unsolicited huge files.

http://inorganic5.chem.ufl.edu [temporarily down :-( ]

FTP XFERLOG Log File

Post by travis jens » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 13:22:16

: >You could always make a link, symbolic or otherwise. If you are using the
: >wu-ftp setup, the pathnames are set at compile time in the header file
: >"pathnames.h".

: >Line 37 has what you want:
: >#define _PATH_XFERLOG   "/usr/adm/xferlog"

: I recently had to reinstall Linux from the slakware disk images and for some
: reason, only anonymous/ftp and root are allowed to ftp in.  Regular users are
: denied access even before they're asked for their password.  What have I
: missed?  BTW...I commented root out of /etc/ftpusers so that I can ftp in.

Make sure that the shell that your users are using is in /etc/shells.
I had this problem when I gave all of my users the tcsh shell, but
/etc/shells did not have tcsh in it.

Travis
--
Travis A. Jensen            | USER, n.:

Linux contractor for hire   |   use when they mean 'idiot'."
"Am I really graduating     |      --Dave Barry
 next summer??"             |        "Claw Your Way to the Top"

1. Help with xferlog and messages log files

I am having a problem with ftp'ing into a Linux server (RedHat 5.1)
from some DOS computers using FTP software's PCTCP for DOS.

For most of the day many ftp transfers happen with out any problems.
These are recorded correctly in  /var/log/messages,  /var/log/xferlog,
and a log file from a proprietary daemon. The proprietary daemon has
worked correctly under SCO unix and HP-UX for many years.

In the evening, 7 to 10 PM (of course, when I am not around), the Linux
server stops allowing ftp transfers.

Last night I started a program on a DOS computer that continuously
requested files to be down loaded from the server. This allows me to
know exactly when the problem occurred.

The last successful transfer was at 20:08.

/var/log/messages reports an unknown user timed out  at 20:26.  The
time-out is 900 seconds, which is 15 minutes. Then it reports two FTP
sessions closed that have no report of being opened. These happen at
20:50 and 20:55.

/var/log/xferlog reports unto the time the system stops responding to
ftp request from the DOS computers (20:08). It shows that next down load
allowed was at 7:25 the next morning. I had not done anything yet, so it
restarted on its own.

The proprietary log reports ftp transfers were attempted, but none were
successful after ftp stopped working. These attempts were at 20:46,
20:52, and 20:54.

There were no attempts between 20:54 and 7:25.

Are there any other logs I can look at, that might give me a clue ?

Is there somewhere that sets a maximum of ftpd daemons running at one
time ?

Any suggestions at all ?

Help PLEASE !!!

2. 3Com EtherLink card for Sol 2.4

3. multiple ftp entries for same file in my xferlog?

4. Help: TLI Problem

5. xferlog not logging?

6. Microsoft declares war against the Internet

7. How to rdirect ftpd logging to xferlog?

8. Setup password in .htaccess for Apache

9. /var/log/xferlog

10. xferlog not working on wu-ftp

11. FTP xferlog analyzer

12. Xferlog redirection for FTP accesses.

13. FTP xferlog