SLS 1.05 kernel build failed

Post by Kevin Furbi » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 23:02:11

        I just grabbed SLS 1.05 the other day and installed it on my 486DX266.  I had to recompile the kernel because the address/interrupt for the mistumi CD driver is different than my card is set for.  After several hassles I got the kernel to build.  I dd'ed it to a floppy, ran rdev but when I reboot from the floppy I get the following error: "Filesystem not found on device 771.  Kernel panic:  VFS unable to mount root"

        Any ideas on what's wrong or what I can do?  I was considering grabbing the src to the 1.0 kernel and killing the SLS modularized src and trying to build the standard kernel.  Will this work, or are there some incompatibilites between the two kernels outside of src/linux?

        Thanks.

Kevin Furbish                   I will not waste network bandwith.
Atria Software, Inc             I will not waste network bandwith.

(508)650-5168                   I will not waste network bandwith.

SLS 1.05 kernel build failed

Post by Jonathan D McCo » Mon, 11 Apr 1994 06:03:22

>    I just grabbed SLS 1.05 the other day and installed it on my 486DX266.  I had to recompile the kernel because the address/interrupt for the mistumi CD driver is different than my card is set for.  After several hassles I got the kernel to build.  I dd'ed it to a floppy, ran rdev but when I reboot from the floppy I get the following error: "Filesystem not found on device 771.  Kernel panic:  VFS unable to mount root"

Me too.  I needed a 3c503 instead of an NE card.
Some additional detail is that the vmlinuz generated by the
default CONFIG (make dep ; make clean ; make ; make lilo/whatever) is
about half the size of the 'default' kernel left on the hd by the installation.

I've tried setting the Makefile boot location variable to either CURRENT
or "/dev/sda2" seems it machts nichts. Funny thing is that it does locate and
load the kernel... and the VFS protests that it cannot mount it.  Hmm.

If anyone could take a gander at the .map file and give me a target to shoot
at I'd be much obliged.

- Jon

--
            J.D. McCown - Computer Services - Senate of Pennsylvania

1. Can't build new kernel, SLS 1.05

I just tried to build a kernel on SLS 1.05 for the first time, and
everything went as expected but the kernel won't boot. It dies with an
error about "can't mount filesystem device 770"

1. I've built kernels with SLS and Slackware before
2. I tried make clean, config, dep, all to get old stuff out.
3. I reran LILO

Is there a known problem with this? I can't switch versions, I have to
match a client.

Oh, I posted to the 'hrlp' group and didn't get any...
--
Speaking *from* but never *for* Prodigy
        "Pain builds moral fiber"  -my dad

2. Need help with fcntl file locking

3. How to upgrade from SLS 1.03 to SLS 1.05

4. Newbie: Change Host Name?

5. SLS 1.05 kernel recompile problems!

6. what's the meaning of "date +10/12/98M%S" ?

7. SLS 1.05 - recompiled kernel won't boot

8. Slackware Instalation from CDROM...Help!

9. SLS 1.05 booting: Kernel panic on swapper

10. SLS 1.05 Kernel

11. SLS 1.05 passwd not working???

12. SLS 1.05: bad arps

13. SLS 1.05 installation problem