HELP: Installing Linux w/o repartitioning

HELP: Installing Linux w/o repartitioning

Post by Ange » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 16:31:41

Hello,

  I've decided that its time to try out a new OS and I would like to try to
install Linux. My machine currently runs MSDOS 6.2 and I would like
to install Linux WITHOUT repartitioning my hard drive.  In order to do
this I have read that I need to use a program called UMSDOS, except I
can not find the info on how to set up Linux with UMSDOS. Does anyone
know how to install Linux this way and where I could get additional info?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                                                   Angelo

HELP: Installing Linux w/o repartitioning

Post by Tom Henr » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 23:31:28

[snip]

Quote:> to install Linux WITHOUT repartitioning my hard drive.  In order to do
> this I have read that I need to use a program called UMSDOS, except I
> can not find the info on how to set up Linux with UMSDOS. Does anyone

I don't know about using UMSDOS, I thought that was a prog that ran from Linux (after
Linux is installed), but here's what I did:

Get the DOS program FIPS ( the last version I saw was fips11.zip ) it can be fopund
at various Linux sites -and- some of the larger DOS-based BBS's.

(1) check for error's on your Hard Drive (HD) using one of the disk utils (Norton Disk Doctor),
(2) then Defragment your HD
(3) do step (1) again (I'm very cautious)
(4) run (dos) fdisk to verify the current partitions and space allocation
(5) READ all of the FIPS documantation and do what it says
     (FIPS will repartition the HD without you having to do a save/restore)
     ( of course it is advisable to do a full save and restore - at least of all your)
     ( data files and configuration files)

It worked for me BUT this in no way should be taken as final word.
If any of the documantation differs from the above then *do not* follow my directions!

Good luck

Post by Top D » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 03:47:49

>Hello,
>  I've decided that its time to try out a new OS and I would like to try to
>install Linux. My machine currently runs MSDOS 6.2 and I would like
>to install Linux WITHOUT repartitioning my hard drive.  In order to do
>this I have read that I need to use a program called UMSDOS, except I
>can not find the info on how to set up Linux with UMSDOS. Does anyone
>know how to install Linux this way and where I could get additional info?
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>                                                   Angelo

  I think that your best option would be to use a program called FIPS.EXE. you can find it
at sunsite in /pub/distributions/slackware in this directory or a sub dir.
  What is FIPS does is resize your hard disk without repartitioning, then you can use the
linux install disk to install linux on the reclaimed space.
  I would suggest that you defrag your disk before using this procedure. Say you have a 420
disk drive with dos installed you can use fips to reclaim say 200 meg for linux and you will
still have about 220 meg for dos.
 The procedure is described in the Installation-HOWTO document at sunsite. If you have any
problems email me and I will see if I can be of more help.

Andre
Running Linux v1.1.72              -            The best unix since Unix
giving power back to the people.
Andre Bell

HELP: Installing Linux w/o repartitioning

Post by Stephen E. Farl » Fri, 16 Dec 1994 05:01:21

I, like you, did not want to re-partition and didn't want to risk using FIPS.
I am running Linux using umsdos and it runs like a champ!!
You will need to get a program called rawrite.exe, the umsdos root image
and the proper boot image (sbpcd, etc) to install Linux
using umsdos. try looking on tsx-11.mit.edu or sunsite.unc.edu. You will
need to pick the boot and root images that correspond to your a: drive
(either 1.44mb 3 1/3" or 1.2 mb 5 1/4").

 Top Dog

[...]

: --
: ______________________________________________________________________
: Running Linux v1.1.72                    -            The best unix since Unix
: giving power back to the people.
: Andre Bell

Stephen E. Farlow           Amateur Radio Call:  KJ5YN
Houston, TX.

1. Repartitioning a Windows disk and installing Linux

Thanks for your time.

The problem is this:  I have a 6.0 GB disk partitioned as a vfat32 disk,
and I'd like to reduce the size of that partition to 3.0 GB and create
an ext2 partition on the other 3.0 GB.

The question is this:  Are there any tools (such as Disk Druid or
cfdisk) in a RedHat 6.0 distribution that will manage this
repartitioning without destroying the data on the Windows partition, or
do I have to spend the $$$ for Partition Magic?

Thanks again.

2. Help...Trying to get XBitHack working ?

3. Install Linux without repartitioning MSDOS disk?

4. Kernel question(s)... + Opti930

5. installing linux - any way to defrag and repartition windows ntfs partition?

6. psm0

7. Repartition using linux install disks. Is it possible?

8. Vixie-cron daemon error Installing Redhat 5.0

9. help with repartitioning for Linux

10. Repartitioning an existing Linux Mandrake 6.1 system - Help needed!

11. How Do I Install Slackware WITHOUT Repartitioning??

12. repartitioning after install