Can't access internal IDE tape drive

Post by Ian Brig » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 07:30:33

I'm having trouble accessing an internal HP Colorado 4/8GB.  The hardware
itself seems OK as it repositions the tape on bootup; and Linux seems to
recognize it OK (dmesg reports "hdd: HP COLORADO 8GB, ATAPI TAPE drive").

But taper -T ide (using /dev/ht0) returns "Input/output error while
rewinding tape"; and mt -f /dev/ht0 status also returns "Input/output
error".  So Linux seems to know the tape drive is there, but can't access
it.

Any suggestions where I'm going wrong here?  (I'm running RH 6.1)

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Can't access internal IDE tape drive

Post by Carbo » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:00:56

I had exactly the same symptoms with a seagate 28000 drive, and it turned
out that the tape I was using was bad.  More than likely it's something
else, but hey it's worth a shot . . .

Post by Ian Brig » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:31:52

:I had exactly the same symptoms with a seagate 28000 drive, and it turned
:out that the tape I was using was bad.  More than likely it's something
:else, but hey it's worth a shot . . .

It's a brand new tape, so -- although that's still possible -- it's not
too likely.

Ian

1. Tape Drive OnStream ECHO30 Internal IDE. Good Choice?

I'm using this drive and it works well. The only things I'd mention
is that the 'supported' driver mentioned on their web site (ide-tape)
sucks. Find the osst driver. It works great. I've backed up my 45 gig
RH 7.0 server 4 times so far and selectively restored 5 times.
I've been using a trial version of bru 16.0. Also if you use bru,
I would recommend the CLI, *not* the gui interface.
I originally compiled osst as a module, and when I found it works
well, I compiled it directly into the kernel. This was to avoid
the errors from forgetting to load the mod before backing up. :)
Oh, and the devices you use are /dev/osst and /dev/nosst

Joe Parente

2. Linux on a Sparc?

3. Help please: internal IDE tape drive

4. "Neo Video" on Hitachi Laptop - is it supported/what is it?

5. Travan-5 Internal IDE Tape Drive Problems.

6. CacheFS: Let's Talk Details!

7. IDE tape drive - how to access it?

8. secure ftp and ssh ?

9. 2.4.5 kernel Oops accessing OnStream IDE tape drive

10. IDE Tape drive - How to access?

11. SCSI and IDE Drives - can't detect IDE drives

12. Can't access SCSI tape drive

13. Accessing another system's tape drive